Oh, the joys of living in the north :P

landscraper82(4a - ND)April 2, 2014

So...not more than a day ago, all the snow had melted, the ground was relatively dry, and I had been out in the garden dreaming of all the possibilities a "sooner than normal," spring would bring.

I had it all planned out, even drove a few stakes into the ground to mark out rows for the onions and shallots I was planning on putting in the ground this weekend.... and then.....

Last night I managed to high-center my truck in a 6 foot drift of snow on my way home from work, during the most horrendous blizzard of the year.

Good luck to everyone else, hope to have better reports soon :)

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
booberry85(5)

So sorry to read about the truck & the blizzard! At least you're here to post about it. Winter has been really cruel this year and doesn't want to give in. I think we're past having blizzards here in central NY, but we're still well below normal for temperatures and above average snow fall for spring. The lake I live near is still frozen over, mind you it hasn't frozen over in several years.

To perk up my spirits, I bought rabbit fencing & some tomato stakes just this morning. When the snow finishes melting, I'll put up the fence. Until things get a little warmer and sunnier, its a lot of hurry up and wait.

Take care - from someone who knows the agony of spring snow storms!

Bookmark   April 2, 2014 at 10:10AM
wayne_5 zone 6a Central Indiana

One of these days it will warm up and dry out a bit up there in Dakota.

I am blessed to have been able to plant a couple things out in the gardens...sugar snap peas and onion plants. The lady called this morning that the onions were in. I set them out with fertilizer this morning. the ground works up like a dream on my amended beds. Where the soil is less amended, it is somewhat wetish. The Candy onions were large and had nice live roots on them.

Bookmark   April 2, 2014 at 12:21PM
booberry85(5)

Just so you know I'm not kidding, I work in Syracuse, NY. I live about 25 miles away from Syracuse.

Take a peek at this one too (5 worst winter weather cities in US):
http://www.farmersalmanac.com/weather/2010/09/07/5-worst-winter-weather-cities/

Feel better now?

Here is a link that might be useful: Top Snowiest cities in US 2013/2014

Bookmark   April 2, 2014 at 1:51PM
More Discussions
Are artichokes difficult to germinate?
I planted some 8 days ago... I got nothing. They are...
Peter
Puzzled with my bell pepper plants
I have been harvesting from the same plant since last...
jacat426
Starting a garden in Corpus Christi Texas
I am a beginning gardener and I have gotten some helpful...
mollysmom_2008
nibbler of artichokes and broccoli
Hi, All, I recently moved from NJ to CA and am faced...
emmers_m
Where is the sweet potato post?
Someone on here wanted to know if sweet potatoes would...
zzackey
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™