I have slugs :(

lovefirst17June 3, 2013

I've put a perimeter of cedar oil granules and beer traps. They're still gnawing stuff up. I can't put more beer traps out and I can't seem to find diatomaceous earth. Copper also seems to be MIA and I've read mixed reviews anyway.

Help?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
nycgarden(6)

Never tried this but I read somewhere that putting down some wet sheets of cardboard in the evening may help. The slugs like to congregate under the moist cardboard at night. You then can come in the early morning and collect the cardboard and slugs.

Good luck,
Dan

Bookmark   June 4, 2013 at 7:51AM
dsb22(z7 VA)

Sluggo is a great product. Organic and also effective very quickly. I also like Sluggo Plus, but I've really only used it for slugs.

Bookmark   June 4, 2013 at 9:43AM
lovefirst17

I just found Sluggo and diatamaceous earth. Can I use the Sluggo in my veggie pots or does it need to form a perimeter on the ground.

Bookmark   June 4, 2013 at 11:16AM
rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7

You can use Sluggo in your veggie garden. Read the labels of everything you apply to your yard and gardens....Sluggo clearly states that it can be used around veggies and other edibles.

Bookmark   June 5, 2013 at 12:23PM
lovefirst17

I did read it. My question is can I put it IN the veggie pots or does it need to be AROUND the pot forming a perimeter

Bookmark   June 5, 2013 at 12:36PM
gardengal48

I have the same issue :-) PNW slugs are fabled plus I've got snails that would make a gourmet drool with delight!! I can control these creatures on inground plantings but containers are more difficult. First, the containers themselves pose no deterrant at - they just slime their way to the top. And they often never touch the soil at all but immediately latch on to any overhanging foliage.

While I do dust the potting soil liberally with the Sluggo, I also sprinkle it around the perimeters of the containers themselves. And that seems to be helping. I also hunt the culprits down during the day when I can - they like to hide from the sun and heat under the foliage in the containers and under any lips on the containers themselves.

Bookmark   June 5, 2013 at 3:56PM
Ohiofem(6a Ohio)

I put slug magic (with the same ingredient as sluggo: iron phosphate) right in my containers. It's not only safe and effective, it actually provides a little nutrition to the plants. No more wasting beer on the enemy for me.

Bookmark   June 5, 2013 at 8:05PM
lovefirst17

Aha! I found some places they like to hang out. I've also collected about 30 of the, in three days, for the garbage. And the diatemaceous earth has really been working. Here's hoping!!

Bookmark   June 5, 2013 at 11:27PM
More Discussions
Al and others..Foliage Pro fertilizer?
I just wanted to get an update on what you think of...
meyermike_1micha
Long Term Potting Mix Recipe - Alternative to Gritty Mix
Hi everyone, I'm a new gardener from Perth, Western...
arcan
Need advice for container garden for elderly woman
I have a question on container gardening for an elderly...
sharonkdr
CONTAINER SOILS - WATER MOVEMENT and RETENTION XXII
Hello! Houzz's new format has presented some challenges,...
tapla (mid-MI z5b-6a)
I have a cold, south facing porch. What container flowers might grow?
It's cold there now. In a few weeks nothing will free...
Blue Hills Gardens and Designs
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™