Can I Still Save Colorado Spruce?

karinmarieMay 31, 2010

We have been so busy working on the interior of our house that the landscape has been very neglected! Yesterday I noticed that one of our huge Colorado Spruces is looking very sickly. A lot of the really low branches on the back side of the tree are dead and it seems to be turning brown. I also do not see any candling on this tree which I understand if that is present it means the tree is healthy. We have hideous clay soil but when these were planted we put a lot of peat moss and good top soil in. Is there anything I can do to try to save it now? It is one of six in our back yard...the rest are doing fine.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
stormz4

Is the area that is turning brown in someway being distressed by lack of sun or space? Are the others candeling when they should? When was it planted? Can you post pictures of this one as well as the others? Sometimes there is winter kill to one and not the others, it could be that. Or it could be a combination of that and wind. The soil although ammended as you say can be a factor. However I am assuming the others are doing fine in the same type of soil. Just wondering if this particular one has different light, heat, moisure exposure.

Bookmark   June 1, 2010 at 2:22AM
rhodium

As Stormz4 said, if they CS is shaded out it drops those needles, as they are not productive any longer. A picture or a description of the setting would be helpful.

If the CS's are in a row then lower branches can be shaded out by their neighbours.

Bookmark   June 1, 2010 at 9:41AM
karinmarie

Thanks for your help...I need to figure out how to get the photos on here. They are in a row but this one is no more shaded than the others. I read that if they are planted too deep that can casue the lower branches to drop needles too.

Bookmark   June 5, 2010 at 1:08AM
More Discussions
Show Me Your Small Private Backyard Landscaping
Looking for picture-based examples of up to a 1/4 acre...
Bob Sislow
Stained concrete vs. Integrated Concrete
Hello, I am redoing my backyard, and pouring new concrete....
sillysally
Need dog fencing layout tips for homestead
We just bought a place on nearly 4 acres that has no...
tracefacemsu
Please need help 100% blank slate both front and back
Hi guys glad I found this forum been reading alot of...
lexysdad04
Huge commercial project behind me
Hi, all. The Deathstar has arrived-- that is, the 60,000...
demeron
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™