Dead Grass?

TheMasterGardener1(5B)June 22, 2011

Hello, I am cosidering dead grass as part of a grow medium. Has anyone done this? Would putting dead grass at the bottum of the container be ideal?

Thanks.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
cactusmcharris

I should think not, at least in container gardening, that it's advantageous to have a mat of rotting matter as the bottom layer of your plant's soil, but I have nothing scientific to back that up with.

Bookmark   June 23, 2011 at 12:48AM
Joe1980(5)

I also think it would not be of any benefit. The bacteria needed to break it down would not be as prominent as in your yard, and that layer of dead grass will probably get pretty nasty down there. I would guess that you'd end up with some stink issues, and probably mold as well. I know someone who uses grass clippings as mulch, and let me tell ya, his yard smells like a farm, and the clippings form a compacted mat of rot, and in the shady areas, you can find fungus and mold.

Joe

Bookmark   June 24, 2011 at 3:34PM
tapla (mid-MI z5b-6a)

.... aerobic fungi and bacteria - methane/CO2/sulfurous gasses - ammonium toxicity - high soil temps due to the rapid composting process - are all significant potential issues - not to mention the negative impact on media structure.

Al

Bookmark   June 24, 2011 at 9:06PM
More Discussions
Help with 5:1:1
Some lol-basic questions about quantities needed for...
containergardenerbeginner
Type of kale... Also, shiny metallic flakes?
Hey, my friend gave me some kale seeds from her plants...
Josie Murray
Container gardening
My clivia, 20-30 yr old lives in a pot, maybe 15 gal....
josephene_gw
Need help!..white spots on my lemon seedlings!!
I recently found white spots on the leaves of my lemon...
Kavitha Raghunath
RE: Introductory post-C.S-W.M&RXXI 1-27-15
Hi everyone, In my very 1st post, I described how by...
halocline
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™