5-1-1 vs gritty mix newbe to potting mixes

steven1032June 22, 2012

i have red over in the pepper forum there is a 5-1-1 the only difference betwee the gritty mix and 511 is instead of using granite they use course perlite. what would the effects on plants be with the two different mixes? is one better than the other? has anyone tried the different mixes? if you did, what was the outcome?

i have used orchid mix and maricle grow and they hold water drastically and it is hard to dry out. i am planning on keeping some pepper plants on the porch and i am looking for a potting mix that is well drained. i do not have a lot of expience with potting soils. please help.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
tapla (mid-MI z5b-6a)

Let me make a suggestion, please?

Follow the link I left below to gain a better understanding of the difference between the gritty mix and the 5:1:1 mix, and a better understanding of how water behaves in container soils. I think gaining an understanding of that (the water:air relationship in soils) is probably the largest step forward a container gardener can take at any one time.

Al

Here is a link that might be useful: C'mon - I'll take you to what he's talking about.

Bookmark   June 23, 2012 at 11:57AM
More Discussions
zone 9 or so best roses for containers
what are your best roses for container gardening
zippity1
Type of kale... Also, shiny metallic flakes?
Hey, my friend gave me some kale seeds from her plants...
Josie Murray
Need help!..white spots on my lemon seedlings!!
I recently found white spots on the leaves of my lemon...
Kavitha Raghunath
PVC liner OK for growing food?
A contractor friend of mine made me a planter box to...
gourdo1
Aglaonema - help
I bought this red aglaonema couple of months back....
bluehaven_gweb
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™