when to move (and divide) rhubarb

leira(6 MA)April 16, 2012

I'm doing some serious re-working of my garden beds, and the rhubarb is in an area that's about to be buried under a raised bed.

Clearly it's too late to be moving it right now (and besides, I'm not doing anything to keep me from harvesting this year!), but when and/or should I move it? It could handle some dividing, too. Should I do it right after I stop harvesting? Should I wait until the Fall? I certainly hope I don't need to wait until next Spring!

Ideally, I'd like to be able to harvest again next year. What do you all think?

Thanks!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
digdirt2(6b-7a No.Cent. AR HZ8 Sun-35)

Fall after it dies back and goes dormant.

Dave

Bookmark   April 16, 2012 at 9:17AM
leira(6 MA)

My garden development has been a bit like a game of Tetris. Many plants have come into my possession before my beds were really ready for them, and the rhubarb is no exception. I really want to plant asparagus where the rhubarb is now, since it's up against the fence where tall things should go...of course, I already have some asparagus plants, and I guess they'll need to go *somewhere* this year, and get moved next year.

I hate gardening this way, really, but I'm in the city, and I have limited space...plus part of my yard is on top of a shale bed, and I really need raised beds on that side of the yard. We do a bit of the construction each year, but it's a hard and slow process.

Bookmark   April 16, 2012 at 9:47AM
lonmower(zone8 Western Oregon)

Fall is best. But my experience is that rhubarb is very hardy and you could move it at any time without a problem as long as you keep it moist in the summer. If you are careful ...it might not even die back

Bookmark   April 16, 2012 at 10:44AM
More Discussions
eggplant not germinating
I put in my eggplant seeds on 1/25 and left them on...
NewTXGardener (8a Dallas)
Woody Parsnips
What causes parsnips to develop wrinkly skin and woody...
qbush
over wintering cabbage family for second year seed
I'm interested in which cabbage family vegetables I...
matthias_lang
Best kind of mulch for vegetable garden
What kind of mulch is recommended for a veggie garden?...
Peter
Do eggplants have high yield?
I'm going to grow one. Thinking of growing two. Do...
shijitake
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™