Zucchini Death

CardioprimadonaJune 10, 2013

Just last week my zucchini in a sub irrigation planter was pumping out zukes. I have it in an 18 gal container and realized it needed a lot more fertilizer since the soil level dropped 4 inches. It was a huge plant. It had some wilt issues but recovered and was doing well again.

I moved it to the courtyard to be in a cooler location since I have misting.

Seemed okay this morning...but completely gone this afternoon.

If anyone with Earthbox/ container experience can help me avoid this again...I'd be very appreciative.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
bitzppa(11)

looks like it got mildewed and drowned . prob not a good idea to mist any of that family.

what soil is in the pot ?

BZ

This post was edited by bitzppa on Tue, Jun 11, 13 at 10:11

Bookmark   June 11, 2013 at 10:09AM
Cardioprimadona

Thanks, BZ. It did get drowned by a exploded sprinkler head about 10 days ago. The upper leaves recovered and I was being very careful to only put a quart of fertilizer on the roots at a time. But it would go through over 2 gallons of water a day from the reservoir.

I just got some shade cloth...as soon as I figure out how to rig it up on the patio it will help with those 110 degree days.

Potting soil...used Big Lot's Black Magic (gloried bark) that I amended with lime, coffee grounds, perlite etc. Then I added better quality potting soil with bat guano etc when the roots were showing under the plastic mulch...poor thing,,, it was starving. Monster size.

Bookmark   June 11, 2013 at 11:37AM
dsb22(z7 VA)

This is only my second year with zucchini in an earthbox, so I'm by no means an expert, but I'm confused when you say the soil level dropped four inches, and that you added a quart of fertilizer on the roots at a time. I've never noticed any major soil sinkage with earthboxes. The fertilizer added when an earthbox is set up should be sufficient for the season. Maybe earthtainers are different. My zucchini last year suffered from powdery mildew but it took a while for them to really go down hill, it wasn't an overnight sort of thing.

Bookmark   June 12, 2013 at 7:33PM
Cardioprimadona

My containers are DIY subirrigation planters. Earthboxes are larger. It was only in an 18 gallon container...and part of that is for the reservoir. It grew at an enormous rate...so I figured it was going through nutrients to support that massive growth. It could have been just compacting of the soil...but there was no weight other than the actual plant on it.

Thanks for the input to my mystery, DSB22.

Bookmark   June 12, 2013 at 8:49PM
More Discussions
Trying Petunias indoors
I thought that I would try to grow some Petunias indoors,...
nopets
Dealing with Water-Retentive Soils
Dealing with Water-Retentive Soilscolor>size> A...
tapla (mid-MI z5b-6a)
Coarse Perlite for 5:1:1
Hi all, first off is "coarse" the correct...
halocline
Long Term Potting Mix Recipe - Alternative to Gritty Mix
Hi everyone, I'm a new gardener from Perth, Western...
arcan
Apartment composting and container gardening.
Any tips or tricks using apartment compost with your...
newgardenelf
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™