Fertilizer for container plants

sammyyummy(11)June 1, 2012

Hi.

I recently got a fertilizer from a friend. It was listed as ammonium phosphate 16-20-0 NPk ratio. My plants are annual flowering types.

Is this ok to give to 4-6wk old seedlings?

Is this ok to give established annuals?

What fertilizer and NPk ratio should I look for in fertilizers for seedlings? And established annuals?

Thanks

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Ohiofem(6a Ohio)

This is not a good fertilizer to use, especially with young annuals. A better choice would be a fertilizer that has all three major nutrients (N-P-K) plus trace minerals. Many people on this forum prefer a fertilizer that is has three times as much Nitrogen (N) and two times as much Potassium (K) as as Phosphorous (P). One you might be able to find would be a version of MiracleGro that is 24-8-16.

Bookmark   June 2, 2012 at 7:10PM
tn_gardening

What fertilizer and NPk ratio should I look for in fertilizers for seedlings? And established annuals?
====================

My brain always tells me to go with a balanced fertilizer (7-7-7 or 13-13-13, etc.).

I guess the best answer is to do a soil test and fertilize each plant based on their specific needs, even to the point of using several different fertilizers. In the end, that makes me dizzy so I tend to gravitate towards the balance stuff.

Bookmark   June 5, 2012 at 6:26AM
tapla (mid-MI z5b-6a)

You're not alone in the way you think, but plants don't USE nutrients in a 1:1:1 ratio, so it makes little sense to supply it that way. Plants tend to use nutrients in a ratio that varies surprisingly little from plant to plant. What varies is the o/a amount of nutrients various plants require. On average, plants use about 6X more N than P, and about 3/5 as much K as N. When the calculations are done that adjust for the fact that the P & K % reported aren't the actual amounts of P & K IN fertilizers, you'll find that fertilizers with 3:1:2 ratios come closest to supplying nutrients in the ratio at which plants actually use them. There is a decided advantage in using a ratio that mimics usage because it allows you to fertilize at the lowest level possible w/o deficiencies. Examples of 3:1:2 ratio fertilizers are 24-8-16 made by Miracle-Gro and many others, 12-4-8 Miracle-Gro, and Foliage-Pro 9-3-6, which is favored by many on the forums.

Al

Bookmark   June 6, 2012 at 4:32PM
More Discussions
Pine Bark Fines Substitute?
I'm having trouble finding pine bark fines for the...
johnweh
Any issues planting in copper pots?
I have some old copper containers I want to use for...
garden_dogs
Need help!..white spots on my lemon seedlings!!
I recently found white spots on the leaves of my lemon...
Kavitha Raghunath
zone 9 or so best roses for containers
what are your best roses for container gardening
zippity1
Potting into Air Pots, root length question
Hello all, My question is, air pots are supposed to...
stickstring (Northern California 8b)
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™