Harvesting collard greens

cacherJune 27, 2009

any tips on harvesting collard greens? Can these be used as needed? If so, do you cut from the bottom first? What size do the leaves need to be?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
dangsr_grow

You start from the bottom when those leaves are 2 hands in size and you have enough for a cooking. Next you wash them good then start cooking. when done have some cornbread to go with them and start eating, but PLEASE save me some lol.

Bookmark   June 28, 2009 at 11:17AM
rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7

I fear that collards harvested at this time of year may be bitter. In the south, they are planted so that the timing of the harvest coincides with some frosty temperatures. A frost seems to bring out the sugars. Please let us know how yours turn out.

Bookmark   June 29, 2009 at 11:41AM
imstillatwork(8-9 Oregon Coast / Ca Border)

All leafy greens I can only recommend harvesting by the leaf as needed. You can get so much more per plant this way.

Harvest the largest leaves first at the size you prefer to eat them.

Bookmark   June 30, 2009 at 12:12AM
spaghetina(SF Bay Area)

I cut off the outer leaves and leave the ones in the middle to keep growing and producing. So far, I've only gotten one nice sized meal out of one plant that was beginning to see the ravages of cabbage moth larvae, but it's still growing and doesn't look to be ready to bolt any time soon (fingers crossed). They were a bit bitter, but I enjoyed it anyway, maybe solely because I was thrilled to be eating the collards before the larvae did.

Bookmark   June 30, 2009 at 4:49PM
rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7

Not to worry about bitter collards. I have a great recipe especially suited for those greens (turnips, kale, collards, rape, etc.) if they're a tad bitter:

Put a clean brick in the bottom of a large pot, fill with your choice of freshly cut greens, and cover with water. Bring to a boil. Dump the water and repeat two times. On the third boil, add slab bacon, if desired, and S/P to taste. I like a bit of vinegar in the water, too.

After the water comes to a boil for this third and final time, drain the pot of water and greens......and eat the brick.

;-)

Bookmark   July 2, 2009 at 11:54AM
More Discussions
To find popular threads try this...
When you are looking for popular threads from the GW...
Loveplants2 8b Virginia Beach, Virginia
PVC liner OK for growing food?
A contractor friend of mine made me a planter box to...
gourdo1
Coarse Perlite for 5:1:1
Hi all, first off is "coarse" the correct...
halocline
Long Term Potting Mix Recipe - Alternative to Gritty Mix
Hi everyone, I'm a new gardener from Perth, Western...
arcan
Question about too much dryness in my container garden
I have several Behlen food-grade stocktanks (1x2x6)...
catherinet
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™