Knock Out roses vs Fairy Roses?

lizbeth-gardenerMay 15, 2010

We are doing some landscaping and we're going to use some knock out roses in our plan. Just had a friend who doesn't know what knock outs are, rave about fairy roses. What are the pros & cons of both? I am in zone 5.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
duluthinbloomz4

Originally, the "Fairy Roses" were dwarf (two to sixteen inches) rose bushes with single or double blooms, cultivated in the 1800's. They are/were dwarf or miniature Chinas and are probably virtually extinct now.

The fairy rose available today is a Polyantha Shrub Rose which is usually a smaller than average rose bush, growing to about three feet.

The pros and cons between Polyantha Shrubs and Knock Outs are pretty much dependent on what you like, want to take care of, and how much you want to see the same thing (particularly in the case of the Knock Outs) in almost every garden from Maine to California and everywhere in between.

Bookmark   May 15, 2010 at 2:09PM
mad_gallica(zone 5 - eastern New York)

When you start talking about real zone 5 winter temperatures, The Fairy is going to be a much better rose than Knock Out simply because it is hardier. Neither has any scent. Knock Out has larger flowers, but The Fairy has much, much larger flower clusters. Knock Out is red, The Fairy is pink. Both are very disease resistant.

Then there is Frontenac....

Bookmark   May 15, 2010 at 2:20PM
mjsee(Zone 7b, NC)

Knock out roses come in pink as well...but I cannot speak to zone 5 hardiness. I will say my knockout Blush has better disease resistance than The Fairy down here in hot-n-humid zone 7b-verging-on-8a.

Bookmark   May 15, 2010 at 8:09PM
laag(z6CapeCod)

The knockout has a much more shrublike habit and nicer foliage (my opinion) than the fairy. They are two distincly different plants. I don't see one directly substituting for the other.

Bookmark   May 15, 2010 at 9:07PM
stormz4

I grow double knockouts is zone 4. Very easy care and lovely blooms. Prune/dead head regularly and they perform well. I agree with laag that they have a nicer foliage. I fertalize once a month from May to August. No problems.

Bookmark   May 15, 2010 at 9:40PM
wodka

I have both deep pink and yellow Knockout Roses. They grow very fast, make a nice shrub, and are pretty much low-maintenance. I am in zone 8b (or 9, depending on what site you visit.)

Bookmark   May 15, 2010 at 9:55PM
lizbeth-gardener

Thanks all for your info. I feel a little more comfortable now. We have the double pink knock outs on our plan and think we will just keep it that way.

stormz4: what do you use for fertilizer?

Bookmark   May 16, 2010 at 12:02AM
mjsee(Zone 7b, NC)

I dunno what stormz4 uses, but I use Espoma's Rose Tone. On everything in my garden.

Bookmark   May 16, 2010 at 6:21PM
More Discussions
Women Landscapers?
I am one. Any others out there? Do you hire women workers? If...
lifeflower123
Wind, sun and what best fits my backyard
Hi everyone! Please ignore the grass situation, will...
Bama_Joe
Do any of you see any red flags with this design?
We got a landscape design for our new yard that we...
TyBarr
Ditched my landscaper - yellow pine choice
Going to my local Camellia expert's nursery and just...
Bama_Joe
Looking for front of house ideas
We recently moved into this house. It was a new construction...
jsandlin0803
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™