Fruit trees with underplanting?

gardening_fever(z8, bc)May 19, 2010

Hi all,

I'd like a nice looking yard with dwarf fruit trees. Can i plant the fruit tree in a shrub/perennial border? I know it will make it harder to pick but just seems like a wasted void space if it's not planted. Any ideas?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
lazy_gardens

Sure! Underplanting fruit trees, often espaliered ones, with "salleting" was common in earlier times. The salad greens made a nice ground cover and salads.

Make sure it's a true dwarf, leave it enough room to grow, and don't underplant it with spiny stuff. Treat it like any short tree or tall shrub.

Consider planting some of the pretty vegetables and herbs in your borders too ... sage, rosemary, basil in summer, etc.

Bookmark   May 21, 2010 at 9:59AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
missingtheobvious(Blue Ridge 7a)

I have strawberries -- though not very good ones -- intermittently throughout the acre-plus of former horse pasture because before it was pasture, and even before it was plowed for whatever was planted before that, it was an apple orchard with strawberries under the trees. Clover is often underplanted in orchards to attract bees.

That said, keep in mind that the trees and underplantings will fight each other for water and nutrients. But maybe in BC water won't be a problem, and if your soil is good, maybe nutrients won't be a problem either.

Bookmark   May 21, 2010 at 12:04PM
More Discussions
garden design ideas for a raised brick flower bed.
Every year I try with all my might to do something...
midwestmelissa
Looking for front of house ideas
We recently moved into this house. It was a new construction...
jsandlin0803
Layout for backyard near house - suggestions
We are wanting to improve on our backyard and create...
lyfia
Landscape advice for front yard please!
We have just moved into a house in SoCal - zone 10...
glitzalicious
Please need help 100% blank slate both front and back
Hi guys glad I found this forum been reading alot of...
lexysdad04
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™