Messed up my containers - Help me plan for next season!

tomahtohsJuly 12, 2013

Hello, All! I hope you're all doing well and are staying happy.

So here's the story:

I'm an amateur tomato grower who's been trying for a few years to grow big plants in containers. I've had reasonable success in past seasons, but never have been able to get a consistently high yield and/or strong plants; it's more of a roller-coaster.

This year I think I finally figured out why.

Through much research and reading up on these forums, I've come to the conclusion that it's because I'm doing my container soil all wrong - In that I'm using *soil* instead of the correct method. This season I joyously and diligently mixed lovely compost and manure with soft and loamy topsoil, adding copious amounts of love, and healthy measures of peat moss. My plants aren't unhealthy per se, but they seem to be plateauing much earlier than they should be.

So here's where I ask for your insight and knowledge. What do I add to heavy, compacted soils to lighten them up for next season's planting? I have heard that Perlite and Vermiculite are good for loosening the mix, but how much will I need to properly aerate my heavy container concoction? Remember, it's composed of (approximately) 2 Parts Topsoil, 2 Parts Compost and manure, and 1 part Peat Moss.

The container sizes range from a 5 gallon pot to a half-wine barrel.

What a mouth full! Thanks for reading, and I look forward to your responses.

Kevin

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
edweather(Zone 5a/b Central NY)

You'd be doing yourself a favor if you used your current container soil for a raised bed or spread it on your lawn or something, and start new with a good container mix. Suggest reading the following post re container soils and drainage.

Here is a link that might be useful: container soils

Bookmark   July 12, 2013 at 6:42PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
mea2214(z5 Chicago)

I would replace topsoil and peat moss with pine bark fines making it 3 parts pine bark fines 2 parts compost and manure. If you can find a 4 cu. ft. bag of perlite buy it and go with 1/2 part perlite in that mix. Don't be frugal with the perlite. That should fluff everything up nicely. IME tomatoes are the most finicky of plants to grow right in containers. You'll probably need to add some lime and other black magic to keep them from getting blossom end rot and then outright dying on you. Skip 5 gallon buckets for tomatoes. Other plants like cucumbers, peppers, eggplants, etc. are much easier to grow right than tomatoes. Read some threads on where to get and what pine bark fines are.

Bookmark   July 13, 2013 at 10:51PM
More Discussions
Help! My slash pine seedlings in containers are turning yellowish
I have several hundred slash pine seedlings I put in...
Florida Native
To find popular threads try this...
When you are looking for popular threads from the GW...
Loveplants2 8b Virginia Beach, Virginia
Need advice for container garden for elderly woman
I have a question on container gardening for an elderly...
sharonkdr
Apartment composting and container gardening.
Any tips or tricks using apartment compost with your...
newgardenelf
Pine Bark Fines Substitute?
I'm having trouble finding pine bark fines for the...
johnweh
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™