New to growing plants in containers

desertgarden561- Las Vegas Z9aJuly 16, 2013

I purchased own root roses in band and one gallon sizes. It is very likely that we will be re-landscaping our front yard, so these roses which I had anticipated planting in my garden during mid October, will very likely remain in pots until March. I live in a hot climate, Las Vegas. What are the best products, pots, and method to pot these roses in to survive until March?

Lynn

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
aseedisapromise

So, I don't live in your climate, and I am not a rose maven, but no one else is answering this. I did live in Tempe AZ for a while, so I know it is hot there. I would really want to do something to keep the roots cooler than they would be in their little pots. I am not sure what a band size is, but a one gallon is not all that big for a rose. I would consider including a nursery bed area in your landscape plan, and putting them there in the ground. If you have to pot them up, put them in the next largest size container and then sink them pot and all into the ground somewhere where they can be cooler at least until late fall. You could dig them up and move them around as work progresses. There is an assisted living with a lot of landscaping near me and they grow some not-so-hardy varieties of rose here by doing exactly this, and then lifting and storing the pots in their cistern during the cold winter. You could do the same thing with your plants.

Bookmark   July 17, 2013 at 5:23PM
More Discussions
Apartment composting and container gardening.
Any tips or tricks using apartment compost with your...
newgardenelf
Container gardening
My clivia, 20-30 yr old lives in a pot, maybe 15 gal....
josephene_gw
CONTAINER SOILS - WATER MOVEMENT and RETENTION XXII
Hello! Houzz's new format has presented some challenges,...
tapla (mid-MI z5b-6a)
Al and others..Foliage Pro fertilizer?
I just wanted to get an update on what you think of...
meyermike_1micha
Cor-ten planters safe for growing edibles?
I'd like to grow some edibles but the best sun is in...
midwestgal67
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™