Small narrow front bed

barbara.s.32May 17, 2014

Hi I am just learning how this forum works and posted this question last night but can't see it today so will try again.
We bought a 10 foot Vulcan magnolia to plant in this bed but are questioning the shape of the bed. It is on the slope on one side and end and can't be enlarged much so am wondering about going smaller or none at all. Some things died, some were eaten by the dear deer.
My other magnolia on the other side of the yard has no bed around it but is old and big- thanks to yaardvarks imput we have shaped it up. Do I plant this one exactly opposite the old one or try to offset it as much as possible?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
yardvaark

Keep in mind that the shape of the bed needs to correspond to what's in it (tree) and what's around it (street & drive). There fore, the flat sides of the beds abutting street and drive make sense, but the back corner would be better rounded (reflecting the tree canopy). You'll need to reconfigure plantings below the tree to correspond to light conditions (which will change as the tree grows.)

Bookmark   May 17, 2014 at 6:38PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
barbara.s.32

Thanks yaardvarks - that is an easy fix.

Bookmark   May 17, 2014 at 7:48PM
More Discussions
To fence or not to fence
Greetings, I live in a heavily wooded area. My wife...
rick777
need help regrading
hi, currently the mulch surrounding my home foundation...
mishyq
garden design ideas for a raised brick flower bed.
Every year I try with all my might to do something...
midwestmelissa
seeking creative solution to pine root damage in driveway
Hello, My neighbor has some large pines which are on...
gardnergal
Show Me Your Small Private Backyard Landscaping
Looking for picture-based examples of up to a 1/4 acre...
Bob Sislow
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™