building a berm

Richard1969May 11, 2014

Ok I have a low spot in my yard almost on the property line between 2 pine trees. I have some acid loving bushes I would love to put there. Being it is a low spot and water collects I need the build a berm. I would like to do this try and do this without spending a fortune on topsoil. This is what I have on hand large amount of pea geavel and sand mixed and numerous bags of brown shredded mulch. I would need to purchase the top soil. Any advice?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
gardengal48

Ideally, you would want the mixture uniform in texture and consistency, so a need to blend all the stuff together.

Not sure how large a berm you envision, but the link will provide rough calculations to follow to determine the amount of soil mix needed. Typically it is going to be something in cubic yards, not cubic feet, like most bagged soil products.

Here is a link that might be useful: berm soil calculations

Bookmark   May 11, 2014 at 5:23PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
yardvaark

Personally, I would not want a berm made of pea gravel, sand and mulch. Sometimes, even if if things work doesn't necessarily mean that they are good ideas. Please post a picture of the area where you are proposing to put this berm.

Bookmark   May 12, 2014 at 12:27AM
More Discussions
garden design ideas for a raised brick flower bed.
Every year I try with all my might to do something...
midwestmelissa
adding curb appeal to our home
Hi, ** I also posted this in the tips and techniques...
aligal266
Landscape advice for front yard please!
We have just moved into a house in SoCal - zone 10...
glitzalicious
Where to find 3/8" minus gravel in NY/NJ??
Our community garden is planning to rehabilitate our...
heavens123
Wind, sun and what best fits my backyard
Hi everyone! Please ignore the grass situation, will...
Bama_Joe
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™