Need some ideas for empty spot

boo_ahh(9)May 17, 2010

We just installed a sprinkler system and sod in my backyard. However to make everything work we had to change my layout. Now I need some help with filling in some space.

I need to plant something in the red square. It cant be something too tall for on the right side is my living room windows and i dont want to block the view. The pots along the house are also staying where they are. The spot gets full sun.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
lazy_gardens

How about an herb garden? most of them grow low, flower nicely and are great for aroma and cooking.

Bookmark   May 18, 2010 at 11:55AM
catkim(San Diego 10/24)

"Not too tall" and "full sun" generates many pages of possibilities. Are there any other attributes you desire that could narrow the scope of possible candidates? I see gravel and lavender -- are you going for a Mediterranean look? Do you want low maintenance or do you like to spend a lot of time in the garden?

Bookmark   May 18, 2010 at 3:22PM
boo_ahh(9)

Hmmm....i would like something attractive, something that does flower. Not really going to much for a theme with the landscaping. As for maintenance, i am up for a little but not too much of it.

Bookmark   May 19, 2010 at 1:05PM
scottyboipdx(8)

Hmmm...since everyone's definition of "too tall" is pretty subjective, here's a go...my definition of "too tall" is, let's say, 6'. Since you have lavender already, how about some centranthus (about 3' tall)...a nice, rosy red that blooms forever, some geranium "rozanne" (2' tall) is a nice cool bluish-purple and should be ok as long as it gets some watering during the summer. Homestead Purple verbena trails along the ground (about a foot tall), spreads 1-2' in every direction, and is covered in dark purple blooms until frost. Purple Emperor sedum (18" tall and about as wide) has lovely dusky purple foliage all season and reddish blooms in fall. Add to that some of the shorter grasses (maybe pennisetum 'moudry' and 'karley rose'...both get about 3' tall and wide. How's that? I'd also mix in some verbena bonariensis...it's about the tallest of all these things...getting 5-6' tall...but is so loosely branced that it's practically transparent and will fill in any bare areas until the rest of the plants fill out over time.

Bookmark   May 19, 2010 at 2:24PM
More Discussions
Bed lines don't matter if....
They're covered in snow! It will be interesting to...
Bama_Joe
What can I put here for privacy
I bought this house 18 months ago and I'm not certain...
Carlton Clay
Shrubs need to get pulled out U-G-L-Y
Hi Forum Members: I recently bought my house and the...
dmo12240
Need privacy in backyard on three sides (zone 6)
I really like my neighbors but I live in the suburbs...
stlmom77
Front Yard Landscape Help! Zone 10a
We are looking to remodel the front of our home. We...
honesthouse
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™