WANTED: Looking for Oregano

gmom2-6boysAugust 21, 2013

Needing Culinary Oregano. Someone who has great tasting culinary oregano, I would like to trade or buy. No seed just plants. My oregano has no taste. The bees love it but not me. Want something new.
Can you help?
gmom

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
ricjo22(5)

If you want good strong oregano I recommend mexican oregano. Its a perenial shrub with white flowers and woody stems.Lipia graveolins. I have only one plant at the moment because they are not frost tolerant . I grow them from seed every year in zone 5 . You can winter them over as a house plant but they dont really like the dry indoor winter and they drop a lot of leaves. They make very few seeds in the north too. You can root cuttings though they are more vigorous from seed. I will try to root a few

Here is a link that might be useful: ricjo22's trade lists

Bookmark   August 24, 2013 at 11:24AM
beth_b_kodiak(zone 5a)

Gmom, I read that the Greek oregano was "the real deal" so that is what I got. It smells like pizza to me.
IT has survived two winters in my AZ garden but don't think it will do OK here in Z 5.
Maybe I should try sending you some in the spring if you don't find what you want.
Bethb.

Bookmark   August 26, 2013 at 8:41AM
gmom2-6boys

Hi Beth, It's been a long time for any trading between us.
My research says Oregano is a perennial plant for z5. We are both in that zone. If you have extra plants we can trade now and get it growing before winter.
I just checked out your trade page and I have Daisies, Black eyed susans, Succlents, and Choc. mint. Any or all of these are good. Let me know.
gmom

Bookmark   August 29, 2013 at 1:06PM
david883(5/6)

I have Greek oregano... cook with it all the time and love it. It overwintered here perfectly. I've ready it can be grown from cuttings. Would you want to trade for some cuttings? Send me an email if you're interested

Bookmark   August 29, 2013 at 9:38PM
beth_b_kodiak(zone 5a)

gmom I'll email you direct

Bookmark   August 30, 2013 at 5:31PM
More Discussions
passion fruit
anyone have the edible passion fruit vine.... passiflora...
mamcc2
HAVE: Monstera deliciosa albo variegata
I have rooted cuttings of Monstera deliciosa albo variegata....
antbeez6
WANTED colocasia pinapple princess
Lost this one a few years ago and it seems to have...
miketropic
HAVE: Arisaema proboscideum (mouse plant)
These Arisaema proboscideum had multiplied so much...
bunnynomnom
Looking for a chinese evergreen cutting
I'm looking to propagate a chinese evergreen as I'm...
Megan Carmeli
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™