Growing cucumbers in pots

keengardener2013July 7, 2013

Hi friends,

I am trying my hand at growing cucumbers in pots. Am not sure of the type of cucumbers, but got these seeds from a friends. Put them in a 9cm pot and got 4 plants sprouting. Now the size of these plants is itself 9cm, so am wondering if it would be a good idea to move these into different pots, or is it too late now. Also, would I get a decent yield in 9cm pots?

Thanks

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Ohiofem(6a Ohio)

I started my Diva cucumbers in 4 inch (10 cm.) pots indoors May 6, allowing only one seedling to develop in each one. I planted two of them outside in a 25-gallon (95 liters) pot at two weeks old. Two weeks later I direct seeded two more cucumbers in the same pot. What you see in this photo are four cucumber plants in that pot today. Each of the older vines have at least four cucumbers on them that are ready for harvest. The vines are already 8-10 feet long. They have climbed up a 4 foot tomato cage and come back down to the ground.

So my answer to your question is yes, you should thin those four plants to the strongest one and then carefully transplant that one into a much bigger pot. And no, you won't get a decent yield in a 9 cm. pot.

Bookmark   July 7, 2013 at 10:51AM
Steve, Z (6Bground,5B roof) Cincy,OH

very nice picture. Ohiofem

keengardener2013; You will get 0 yeald in a 9cm pot. If you have a 55 gallon barrel you can keep all 4.

Is it real hot where you are in india. We are running 22-C to 27-C in Cincinnati,OH USA

Bookmark   July 7, 2013 at 5:30PM
squirrelwhispererpup(9a)

I had six vines in one 20 gallon fabric pot. I hadn't intended to keep all six but I have a hard time thinning and there was no one plant that seemed less worthy than the others. I watered daily and fed generously and they were very productive but when the temperature rose to 107 last weekend (sorry I do not know how to convert that to Celsius, I know I should), all of their fruit became bitter no matter how much moisture I supplied, so they are now gone. I would give yours a little more room.

Bookmark   July 7, 2013 at 11:29PM
Steve, Z (6Bground,5B roof) Cincy,OH

The temp is 107 107f 107F

Adding the letter f to the temp alows the computer to do the calculation when you hold the mouse pointer over it.

Bookmark   July 8, 2013 at 8:36AM
edweather(Zone 5a/b Central NY)

I'm trying cucumbers, Boston Pickler, for the first time. Not a big fan of cucumbers, but, oh yeah, I love pickles!! Sounds like a no brainer. The only dicey part is that we just started them yesterday, and the DTM on the package says 53 days. So yes, I know I'm a bit of a gambler, but with any luck and a warmish Septemder, we should get a few to mature.

Bookmark   July 8, 2013 at 9:04AM
sharonrossy

I've had great luck growing Cukes in containers. This year due to spacing issues with my tomatoes in containers I have planted them in ground in another location and hoping for the best. Since the last few days have been warm and sunny for a change, they have really taken off!

Bookmark   July 8, 2013 at 5:04PM
More Discussions
Indoor vegetables and 5-1-1
I'm growing vegetables indoors in containers. Is the...
gardev
CONTAINER SOILS - WATER MOVEMENT and RETENTION XXII
Hello! Houzz's new format has presented some challenges,...
tapla (mid-MI z5b-6a)
Summer Squash
Last spring/summer, I planted a summer squash that...
meawea
Best glue for terracotta pots?
Yes I did. Left some of my pots outside and now they...
keepingon
Sponsored Products
Teak Square Planter Set - Set of 3
Signature Hardware
Topan Pendant VP6 - Verner Panton - &Tradition
$360.00 | HORNE
Babyletto | Lolly 3-In-1 Convertible Crib
YLiving.com
33 Inch Top-Mount / Drop-In Stainless Steel 60/40 Double Bowl Kitchen Sink Zero
eModern Decor
John Richard Antique Gold Budding Crystal Table Lamp
Lamps Plus