My cucumber plants are turning pale and blossome dropping off

tracychowJuly 26, 2014

I'm a newbie in gardening. i started growing the cucumber in pot this april and they were growing well.
3 weeks ago, the plants start to have male flowers buds and i have found some female flower bud since last week.
however, the many of the male flower buds drop off before it opened. And i found my plants are getting pale.
what's wrong with my plants? am i watering too much / less ? too much sunlight or too hot? Cause i'm living in HK and the average temperature during daytime is around 30C from May to July. Please help!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
howelbama(7 NJ)

Looks like a nitrogen deficiency. How often are you watering?

You should wait until the top two inches of soil is dry before watering. Then drench the soil until you get some good run off from the drain holes.

Stick your finger to you second knuckle. If it comes out dry, then water.

Next time they are due for a watering, give them a feeding with a fret that has a good amount of soluble nitrogen.

Too high temps can cause blossom drop, but I think overwatering/underfeeding is one of your issues.

Do you have bees visiting the flowers often? Pollination could also be a problem. If there are no bees, you will need to hand pollinate with an artists paintbrush.

Bookmark   July 26, 2014 at 3:17PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
tracychow

Thanks howelbama,
i water them everyday. i will take your advice and feed them with fertilizer. is phostrogen a right choice?

Bookmark   July 27, 2014 at 5:33AM
More Discussions
Pine Bark Fines Substitute?
I'm having trouble finding pine bark fines for the...
johnweh
Help! My slash pine seedlings in containers are turning yellowish
I have several hundred slash pine seedlings I put in...
George Spector
Cor-ten planters safe for growing edibles?
I'd like to grow some edibles but the best sun is in...
midwestgal67
What's eating/happening to my bougainvillea?!?!?!
The leaves are being scaled and then turing brown with...
ninetyfivem3
pine straw instead of pine bark fines?
Dear folks According to the 5-1-1 mix I should use...
ItsJorgen
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™