Landscape Help

smithcmMay 14, 2011

I have a backyard that is about a 1/2 acre by an acre. To the northeast there are 3 small vegetable gardens. To the north is my home and a patio. The rest of the yard is just all grass except for a young zelkova right in the middle of my yard. Does anyone have any landscaping ideas? Especially to help with the tree right in the middle of the yard? Thanks.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
inkognito

Oh oh let's be pedantic: an acre is a measurement of area meaning that half an acre by an acre is a meaningless formula.

Bookmark   May 14, 2011 at 5:06PM
missingtheobvious(Blue Ridge 7a)

An acre is 43,560 square feet. A perfectly square acre would be about 208' 8.5" on each side.

===

What do you want to do in the backyard? Would you like to plant more trees to shade the house and/or the patio/deck? Are there views you'd like to block? Is there an ugly fence you'd like to hide?

Grass is plain ... sometimes boring. It can be very satisfying if it's weedless, thick, and well-mown (it helps to have a level yard: ask me how I know that). But overall grass is simple to care for, and takes up less of your time than most other alternatives.

Are there plants or trees you particularly like? You already have veggies: how do you feel about berry bushes or fruit trees?

===

The zelkova belongs to you. If it's in a bad location, if it's a bad shape, if you prefer a red maple or a dogwood or a dawn redwood, if you just plain don't like it, you can cut it down. I give you permission.

-- mto the tree-killer
3 silver maples (got the third just this noon)
3 black locusts
1 Leyland cypress
and literally countless young autumn olive, Bradford pear, and weeping cherry trees
plus 1 white mulberry

Bookmark   May 14, 2011 at 9:12PM
anitamo(5)

I think the question must be some kind of joke. Name of Smith, just joined GW today, asks questions that's almost impossible to answer without more info, and gives vague measurements. Nothing helpful in the post, so he/she must not be expecting us to take it seriously.

Bookmark   May 14, 2011 at 10:17PM
More Discussions
scary house help
Trying to help someone with this- yipes. I'm thinking...
hightide102
tall hedge or tress for privacy screen.
I have posted this before in older forums. Not able...
ritholtz47
Need help design patio & location of tree
The backyard of my future home (yet to be completed)...
Late Sound
Issue with Retainer Wall, fixable or redo?
Hi, first time posting here. I'm looking for advice...
John Turner
On Site Calculations - Area
If you do construction as well as design, sooner or...
pls8xx
Sponsored Products
Addison ross pearl cream enamel frames
Origin Crafts
Simplicity 7 Piece Dining Set in MultiColored
$1,069.00 | LexMod
Majestic Overview III Wall Art
$419.00 | FRONTGATE
Fire Urn
$125.00 | Horchow
Tree House Garden Stakes - Oval
Grandin Road