overwintering container evergreens

sharon1521July 7, 2012

Hi

I need help figuring out what type of slender evergreens I can use on my west facing deck that can be over wintered in containers.

It is super hot and dry. I need something that I can grow for privacy from neighbors. I need something that the cold winter winds won't kill. Please help if you've had experience doing this Thanks Guys for your help

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
denninmi(8a)

In 6b, you shouldn't have any trouble overwintering anything that is rated Zone 6 hardy or for a lower zone such as 5,4,3,2. I am a very borderline 6a and have routinely overwintered evergreens such as pine, spruce, fir, arborvitae, junipers in various sizes of containers.

I think it's mainly a matter of finding what appeals to you and will work in your situation. If they are the right profile/shape, probably something like a Skyrocket Juniper or an Emerald Green Arborvitae should overwinter with no problem.

Bookmark   July 7, 2012 at 1:21PM
rina_

Sharon

It is important to make sure that your containers have good drainage.
Just in case your deck is very windy, you may consider wrapping them in burlap for the winter.
What kind of containers are you using?
Rina

Bookmark   July 8, 2012 at 11:47PM
howelbama(7 NJ)

Zone ratings don't really apply when plants are containerized, at least not to the roots of the plant. Containers will freeze solid without protection, and it doesn't really matter what zone hardiness a plant is when it's roots are contained in a solid block of frozen potting mix. :).

Bookmark   July 9, 2012 at 6:55PM
More Discussions
Banana plant in grow bag
hi .. potted this tree last month and it has survived...
amriteanukul112
Avocado as a Container Plant III
Well, another wonderful Summer is passing, and there...
greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a
aphid issue + not many predators
Hello, dear Container G people!!! So, let me know if...
Need2SeeGreen
Need help identifying a few plants from a photo
Can someone please identify the plants used in this...
Merci Ava Maria
CONTAINER SOILS - WATER MOVEMENT and RETENTION XXII
Hello! Houzz's new format has presented some challenges,...
tapla (mid-MI z5b-6a)
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™