What would you do?

jparkins_ohio(5a OH)May 10, 2011

This is the side of my house that faces North East. It receives full sun. I would like to plant a weeping cherry tree in the front where the rock is and I would like to plant a lilac in the corner by the fence (there is a peony there now that I will move.)

My question is, what would you plant in the middle? My thought was 3 burning bushes as a foundation. Is there something better?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
craftlady07(5b/6a)

I would plant something evergreen rather then deciduous. But I have no idea what to recommend since I'm struggling with the same thing right now.

Bookmark   May 11, 2011 at 8:54AM
lpinkmountain(5b/6a border PA)

I would never plant burning bush, also called euonymous. I work in forest conservation and they are a horrible weed in forests. I would also not plant japanese barberry, another popular foundation plant. I have pulled gads of both out of woodlots trying to save the native wildflowers. Make sure you plant the weeping cherry well away from the house, because ultimately they get huge.

If you like the bright red foliage of the burning bush, try planting blueberries or fothergilla. Both turn bright red in the fall. Fothergilla also puts on a nice show in the spring with white flowers. Another option that has red foliage all season is ninebark. I have that in my yard and I really like it.

Bookmark   May 11, 2011 at 9:15AM
lpinkmountain(5b/6a border PA)

I forgot to say that it is ninebark of the "Diablo" variety, because there are other ninebarks with other colored foliage, including I think golden. The ninebark looks great with blue green evergreens. Oh, and for another plant that looks good mixed with evergreens, there is redtwig dogwood, which has light green leaves but bright red twigs. Another plant that gives you a burst of red color in the fall is winterberry holly. It's not evergreen like some hollies, but really bright with the berries. But you have to have a male and female bush to get the bright berries. The male bushes are somewhat smaller and inconspicuous. Bunnies love to gnaw on winterberry twigs though, same with blueberries. There are other evergreen hollies that also have red berries if you're set on evergreen.

Bookmark   May 11, 2011 at 3:41PM
More Discussions
tall hedge or tress for privacy screen.
I have posted this before in older forums. Not able...
ritholtz47
Need landscaping ideas
Hi, we just built this house on a junior acre in zone...
imcheetah
Help with frontyard design changes
Hi, I’m in the process of replacing turf in my front...
quikslvr0017
Front yard design help
Looking to finally put some plants in the front yard....
Matt Johnston
Landscaping ideas - Need help with suggestions of plants please
We would like to seek help in filling our concrete...
stinerantsen
Sponsored Products
Silver Vintage Textured Faux Dupioni Silk Single Panel Curtain, 50 X 96
$57.95 | Bellacor
Adir Wire Bin Roll File with 12 Openings - RF619-BLU
$37.56 | Hayneedle
Blue Medallions Rug 3'9" x 5'9"
$189.00 | Horchow
'You Are Here' Map 17-Oz. Travel Bottle
$21.99 | zulily
Castle Locking Wall-Mount Mailbox with Newspaper Roll
Signature Hardware