Help with Backyard Design Projects (pics)

Paula MillerMay 12, 2010

Hi -

I posted another message that I will delete as soon as I get pics loaded to this post. I wanted to start a new post, because we have changed the scope of our backyard project. Next week, I have 2 strong helpers coming to help me:

1) Do "something" with this hump in our backyard

2) Do "something" with the hose area in our backyard

3) Do "something" along our fence

If you remember from my original post, I am trying to get rid of the "rock" feel in our backyard. We have artifical turf in the middle of our [very small] yard and river rocks all around it. We did this because we couldn't keep up on our grass with our two large dogs, so it got us through. Now, we want to add more color & interest in our back. I'd like to start with the "hump" and the "hose area".

HUMP AREA: My idea for the hump is to figure out a way to build a mini retaining wall and put mulch & plants in there to build a colorful area. Though I have no idea how to build a wall or what to put in there.

HOSE AREA: I need something that I can walk on to turn on the hose easily. I was wondering if laying flagstone is easier in mulch or dirctly on the ground, or if there are other options.

I'd like to plant clemantis or honeysuckle along the fence.

I have absolutely no idea what I am doing, I've just been searching sites to get ideas, but don't know what is best to do. We want LOW-LOW-LOW mainenance, but need color badly.

Any advice you can provide is appreciated.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Paula Miller

posting the pics ...

Here is a link that might be useful: backyard on Picasa

Bookmark   May 12, 2010 at 4:22PM
Paula Miller

I have been trying for days to get my pictures out here! Hoepfully this works!

Bookmark   May 12, 2010 at 4:40PM
Paula Miller

We live in CO and our backyard faces south, so we get tons of very hot sun back here.

Also, last year when we had the fake grass installed they did all the leveling for drainage (we live sideways on a hill) - the little river area in the back works great for drainage, water runs right though it - but I'd like it to show up more distinctive and decorative than blending in with everything else.

We will also put an evergreen in the back right corner later this year, or next spring if the lilac I have there doesn't grow.

Bookmark   May 12, 2010 at 4:46PM
inkognito

What do you mean by "but need color badly"?

Bookmark   May 12, 2010 at 7:13PM
Paula Miller

I mean, when I look at our yard, all I see is ROCK. So I was thinking of adding some mulch around the plantings we have, and on the hump. Then also adding some more plants (on the hump now, then elsewhere later once I know what I'm doing). I'd like to see more green and more "life". Does that make sense?

Bookmark   May 12, 2010 at 7:38PM
back_yard_inventions_yahoo_ca

Hey
Did you ever think of adding on a great looking Gazebo to your property. Friends of mine opted to remove their unsightly backyard pool and replace it with a quaint little gazebo that ended up adding a considerable amount of equity into their property.(much more than what their old pool did :-))

Here is a link that might be useful: Backyard Gazebo

Bookmark   March 31, 2011 at 9:24PM
More Discussions
tall hedge or tress for privacy screen.
I have posted this before in older forums. Not able...
ritholtz47
Plantings for Driveway/Walkway Design
We would like to pave the driveway. (I hope I am in...
doggonedeb
Help! My new front yard is UGLY! Any ideas appreciated!
Do I keep the stone flower bed edge? I was told it...
amynatashahowell
New construction landscaping
I am looking for any suggestions for low maintenance...
lauracrawford28
Overwhelmed by new homes
I bought a new home just over a year ago in Northwest...
mistymoon
Sponsored Products
Gold Finish Wall Sconce with Flower Shaped Glass Shade
ParrotUncle
Constance Rug 8' x 10' - SAND
$1,099.00 | Horchow
Cooper Classics Westin 40 3/4" Square Wood Wall Mirror
Lamps Plus
Nourison Area Rug: Somerset Ivory 5' 6" x 7' 5"
Home Depot
Jason V4266 Tub
Modern Bathroom