Cayenne/Sweet Bell Peppers Question

KendraSchmidtJuly 6, 2012

I have two plants that I'm rather proud of. I've only had them for two years, but they're growing great in a container and surviving super cold winters well. One is a Sweet Bell Pepper plant and the other is a yummy Cayenne.

Since I've had them in the pots and they've grown and eaten what nutrients they can, I've noticed that the level of soil in the container is starting to get lower and lower, while the plant gets bigger and bigger. Will I eventually have to add more soil to the pot? If so, do I add the soil to the top of the pot? Or do I add the soil to another pot and remove the plant from its present pot and re-pot it into a new pot with fresh soil at the bottom?

I hope that's not confusing. Any insight is much appreciated!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
denninmi(8a)

Yes, the soil compacts as the organic components of it break down. If it's rather pot bound and needs more soil, you should add it to the bottom. While peppers could probably tolerate being buried like their tomato cousins, I would be concerned about rotting the stem. It should be simple to pop it out if it's pot bound, add the required amount of fresh potting media to the bottom, and pop it back in. Whether or not you need an entirely new, larger pot is up to you, a bigger pot will yield a bigger plant, which may or may not be a good thing depending upon your circumstances.

Bookmark   July 6, 2012 at 8:41PM
greentiger87

If you've had them for 2 years in the same pot, then I'd say it's high time for a complete repot. You didn't say where you live, so I'm not sure how soon your growing season is over. Conceivably you could add soil to the bottom for now, and repot completely early next spring. This would entail pruning off flimsy growth on the top, washing out all the soil from the roots, and reducing the root system by half or more.

Peppers do really well with severe root pruning, despite how scary it looks. I recently repotted a five year old "ornamental" hot pepper in June and really went to town on the roots... it responded with ecstatic growth and is already setting another crop.

Bookmark   July 7, 2012 at 6:00PM
denninmi(8a)

Yes, a lot of us in the North forget that peppers aren't really a soft, herbaceous plant, but actually become a woody sub-shrub or shrub in their native haunts depending upon the species.

I've seen some of the very small leaved ornamental peppers and also the wild "chiltepin" pepper done as bonsai, and it was most effective.

Bookmark   July 7, 2012 at 10:18PM
KendraSchmidt

Okay, thanks for the advice everyone. I'll look into a repot of the plant and also pruning the roots. Maybe that'll encourage an even larger plant next growing season. Thanks again GW.

Bookmark   July 9, 2012 at 12:00PM
captiveroots(6A)

can you keep bell peppers for several years? I have never heard of anyone doing this, but the idea is really exciting! I would assume it would involve bringing them inside for the winter?

Bookmark   July 10, 2012 at 12:51AM
howelbama(7 NJ)

Captive,

Yes you can keep them for several years. They need to be brought in, and provided supplemental light. Fluorescents will do to keep them alive, but if you want them to continue to produce fruits you will need very intense (HID) lighting. But if you just want to overwinter them, some supplemental fluorescents will do. They can also be pruned back quite heavily.

I believe they are known to live 40 plus years in their native environments.

Bookmark   July 10, 2012 at 1:11AM
tomatotomata

40 years! I am constantly learning new things from GW!

Bookmark   July 11, 2012 at 6:43PM
TheMasterGardener1(5B)

"I am constantly learning new things from GW!"

I agree. I have learned so much on GW.

Thanks Everyone!

Bookmark   July 15, 2012 at 10:47PM
More Discussions
gritty mix modification question
Sorry, I had a response to this question before but...
briana_2006
What to plant in 4 1/4 Gallon Food Grade Buckets?
I was recently given about 20 4 1/4 gallon food grade...
MikeinPA_Zone5b
new container gardener
I have decided to plant in containers this year, I...
mary grether
Container Garden Vacation Watering
I'll be leaving for my wedding at the end of June and...
meawea
"tapla" root pruning question
Hi Al, I bought another Brush Cherry, and wanted your...
halocline
Sponsored Products
Mia Bronze Four-Light Bath Fixture with Amber Cloud Glass
$526.50 | Bellacor
Brown Bedroom Lamps: 40.5 in. Brown Table Lamp 26257
Home Depot
Westinghouse Pendant Lights 4-5/8 in. Frosted Bell with Clear Square Design
$6.97 | Home Depot
Ceramic Soup Bowl - Set of 4
$32.99 | Dot & Bo
Bolla Brushed Nickel Island Pendant
$599.00 | Bellacor