pot sealant

rmontcalJuly 12, 2011

Over the winter I decorated several terra cotta pots with decoupage themes. I have a chiquita banana sticker pot, an Obama pot and a pot covered with stickers that you get when you vote that I have been saving for a while. I thought the Mod Podge that I used would be good enough, but as soon as put a plant in one of these and watered it, the water went through the porous clay and re-wetted the Mod Podge. So I need something to seal the terra cotta from the inside.

But I don't want to use anything that is a chemical, like a paint or something like that. I know there has to be a natural water proofer out there that makes sense. I just don't know what it might be.

Some sort of food grade sealant? Beeswax?

TIA

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
terrybull

what about grout sealant. its used on kitchen tiles. maybe theres a food grade grout sealer.

Bookmark   July 12, 2011 at 10:48AM
jojosplants(9/ Tucson, Az.)

There is a sealant for wooden salad bowls, but I'm not sure of the name, maybe try a google for something along the lines of food safe sealants.

JoJo

Bookmark   July 12, 2011 at 12:02PM
cebury(9)

>>> But I don't want to use anything that is a chemical, like a paint or something like that. I know there has to be a natural water proofer out there that makes sense. I just don't know what it might be.

That is really limiting your options. There are plenty of natural based types of water-proofers/sealers that can be used, but the problem is duration. All the options I'm aware of will wear off when used as a planter and submitted to frequent watering. Some wear much faster than others: non-drying oils, vaseline, etc won't last long vs. sealing with waxes will be longer but not much more than a season. Shellac is an amazing product is considered food safe (though don't ask where it came from). Once you open the typical can of shellac sealer, you will immediately think "chemical" however and it's mixed with an alcohol base to form a varnish. That will also wear when used to seal internally.

You could try gluing bubblewrap or thick (8mil) plastic to the interior, but that isn't completely waterproof. But if you're even willing to use glue, that is a chemical too and you could even superglue the entire interior.

I know quite a bit about sealers from woodworking, but understand I don't know much about TC other than the latest status-quo is using concerete/masonry sealers (which is what you want to avoid). What is the reason you want to avoid using "chemicals like a paint"? There is the Garden & Flower Crafts forum.

Bookmark   July 14, 2011 at 6:02AM
dickiefickle(5B Dousman,Wi.)

I think you may have to just move on.

Bookmark   July 15, 2011 at 2:00AM
susan2010(6 Massachusetts)

What about using them as cache pots? There are lots of "pot liners" available (florist supplies may be a good place to look).

Bookmark   July 15, 2011 at 10:18AM
More Discussions
Trying Petunias indoors
I thought that I would try to grow some Petunias indoors,...
nopets
Long Term Potting Mix Recipe - Alternative to Gritty Mix
Hi everyone, I'm a new gardener from Perth, Western...
arcan
PVC liner OK for growing food?
A contractor friend of mine made me a planter box to...
gourdo1
Meyer Exploding in 5-1-1
My meyer lemon in 5-1-1 is just going nuts right now....
Jay Part Shade (Zone 10B, S21, Los Angeles)
Type of kale... Also, shiny metallic flakes?
Hey, my friend gave me some kale seeds from her plants...
Josie Murray
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™