Examples of Male and Female Squash Blossoms

jojosplants(9/ Tucson, Az.)July 18, 2011

There have been a few questions lately on what to look for in a blossom to hand pollinate. I thought I'd share a few pictures I have, showing the difference in them.

Here is a Yellow Squash.

The squash with the blossom on it (to the right) is the "female". If you look to the left and down a little, you will see the male, it's just the flower. The squash, melons, and gourds, will form a small fruit before the flower opens, the male will be just a flower.

Here is a small female in between 2 male flowers. And to the left, a larger male flower.

This is just a male flower on my Spaghetti squash.

And here is a little squash/ female of the Spaghetti. The funny background is my "dead" garden tools, grave yard. lol...

This is a new zucchini squash i'm trying , a ball shape. If you look close , you will see a male flower to each side of the little squash.

2 male flowers to the left.

And just for fun, Twins! lol...

These flowers started out one stem, and branched at the end to be 2 flowers joined.

I've never seen one like this.

I will try and get some pictures of blooming flowers. I get busy and don't always get out early enough. ;-)

To hand pollinate, I simply peel back the petals on the male flower, and gently rub the stamen in the female flower.

The trick is to have 2 open at the same time! :-) and you need to get out early , the blooms don't last long.

JoJo

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
terrybull

this is a female pumpkin.

Bookmark   July 18, 2011 at 11:02AM
jojosplants(9/ Tucson, Az.)

HI Terry,
Great picture! Thanks for adding it! Carving or pie? :-) I didn't get any pumpkin in yet, I may still try one or 2 of the 'baby boo' for the kids for Halloween.

I know a few years ago my gourds were not doing well, and hand pollinating was a little confusing at first, so I hope these pictures help some who are new at it.

JoJo

Bookmark   July 18, 2011 at 11:14AM
terrybull

glad you posted those pics. mine is an atlantic giant in a swc. also have knuckle head, gold medal and aspen growing.

Bookmark   July 18, 2011 at 11:53AM
meyermike_1micha(5)

Hey Jojo

Nice job and to think you can grow such good veggies in your heat.

Wonderful!

Mike

Bookmark   July 18, 2011 at 1:00PM
jojosplants(9/ Tucson, Az.)

Hey Mike!
Thanks... :-)

Good to see you.

Actually these plants do well with out heat as long as their watered good each day.

JoJo

Bookmark   July 18, 2011 at 7:36PM
Desireea3

Three of my female flowers opened today but not the males can I still pull off the outside and use them to pollinate the females? I was really sad I have been waiting all week running out at the crack of dawn then finally on mothers day they opened only to be let down by the men, lol.

Bookmark   May 12, 2013 at 9:38PM
jodik_gw

Hey, JoJo!

Great looking squash!

I never really paid much attention to the flowers, so I wanted to thank you for that information!

Happy Belated Mother's Day to you! :-)

Bookmark   May 13, 2013 at 10:06AM
Steve, Micro (6B ground, 5B roof)

Desireea3

I thought is was the support of the young one that the men failed to show up lol

Bookmark   May 13, 2013 at 5:56PM
More Discussions
Meyer Exploding in 5-1-1
My meyer lemon in 5-1-1 is just going nuts right now....
Jay Part Shade (Zone 10B, S21, Los Angeles)
Help! My kumqat is dying
Hello everyone, I am hoping to get some help related...
bashchelik
Coarse Perlite for 5:1:1
Hi all, first off is "coarse" the correct...
halocline
PVC liner OK for growing food?
A contractor friend of mine made me a planter box to...
gourdo1
Potting into Air Pots, root length question
Hello all, My question is, air pots are supposed to...
stickstring (Northern California 8b)
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™