Raised bed versus container gardening

jambJuly 9, 2011

Which forum would you recommend for growing veggies in a raised bed. I have been lurking in containers, but growing in 5 gal buckets seems to be totally differnt than a raised bed.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
roselane(5b/6a Kansas)

Hi, If memory serves, the vegetable gardening forum usually has a lot of discussion regarding raised beds. If there is a square foot gardening forum you could try that. Some forums are even available for specific veggies like tomatoes. Good luck! :)

Bookmark   July 9, 2011 at 12:25PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Joe1980(5)

Raised beds have the advantage of being in/on the ground, providing better drainage with no perched water. They also provide more space, more moisture retention, and take up WAY less space in ragards to how much you can plant per square foot. The advantages with growing in containers are that you can move them as needed, for storms, frost etc. Also, you can apply your fertilizer specifically as needed for each plant. Not to mention you can grow veggies in places where you cannot make a raised bed, like apartment patios and balconies. If I had to choose though, I'd definately go for the raised bed if I had the ability to do so.

Joe

Bookmark   July 9, 2011 at 10:36PM
More Discussions
Small container producing good?
hi.. my experiments with potted plants Fertilizers...
amriteanukul112
Meyer Exploding in 5-1-1
My meyer lemon in 5-1-1 is just going nuts right now....
Jay Part Shade (Zone 10B, S21, Los Angeles)
zone 9 or so best roses for containers
what are your best roses for container gardening
zippity1
Need help!..white spots on my lemon seedlings!!
I recently found white spots on the leaves of my lemon...
Kavitha Raghunath
Long Term Potting Mix Recipe - Alternative to Gritty Mix
Hi everyone, I'm a new gardener from Perth, Western...
arcan
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™