Washed out area by house

jeanerz13(6a)May 26, 2014

I have a water faucet on the north side of my house. When I have the hose hooked up and the water turned on, it kind of sprays everywhere from where the hose connects. I've had a plumber check it out before and he said there was nothing wrong with the faucet and I've tried new washers for the hose to no avail. I may try getting a replacement for that bit of hose that comes out of the hose reel to connect to the house.

Anyway, the result of all of this is kind of a sloppy area under the faucet whenever I need to use it. I think it's washed stuff away now that the ground level is lower next to the house than it is a few inches from the house (that's bad right?) Last year I put some rocks against the side of the house...I'm not exactly sure what the plan was though... maybe hoping it wouldn't be quite so muddy...anyway, I'm looking for a more permanent solution. I was thinking I would need to dig up those rocks, put some topsoil down and make it so that it slopes away from the house, and then put some kind of plants in there to help hold it in place. Maybe try to re-seed the area in front of whatever I plant with grass too.

Oh, and you can't see it in this picture, but there's a fence to the left that butts right up against the side of the house... it's kinda sucky just on the other side of the fence too. I can get some pictures that include the fence, but I figured whatever I do would kind of be carried on to the other side.

Any advice?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
yardvaark

It's possible that hose (or implement) ends can be damaged making hose washers not capable of stopping the leak. If it's the hose, the ends can be cut off and replaced with new ones. If it's an implement (like a hose reel) it must be replaced (not worth parts cost or they're unavailable.)

Bookmark   May 26, 2014 at 10:46PM
Shrubbish(5b)

I had a similar area though on level ground. The plumber looked at me as if I was crazy for caring that it leaked. So I put down six 12x12" exposed aggregate pavers to keep the mud down and to have a resting spot for the hose-reel.

The spot was surrounded by hostas, so the moisture did not go to waste.

Bookmark   May 26, 2014 at 10:54PM
jeanerz13(6a)

Thanks for the responses. I do want to fix the cause of the problem, whether it be the hose, reel, or whatever. However, I feel the danage has been done, so to speak, and I'm wondering how to go about fixing the area so that I don't have a problem with water pooling next to the house. Should I pile dirt there and plant something like I had planned? Or would more rocks or landscape bricks be a better option? I have a lot of the trapezoid shaped blocks from tree rings I've been disassembling.

Bookmark   May 27, 2014 at 12:30AM
jeanerz13(6a)

Oops...double post

This post was edited by jeanerz13 on Tue, May 27, 14 at 0:34

Bookmark   May 27, 2014 at 12:32AM
yardvaark

Fixing the grade you would do with topsoil.

Bookmark   May 27, 2014 at 10:04AM
jeanerz13(6a)

Thanks! Wondering how I'm going to go about it... if I fix just this section I might end up with a little hill where it could also run down the sides and not just the front away from the house... guess I'll just have to try and see how it goes... wish me luck! :)

Bookmark   May 27, 2014 at 1:39PM
More Discussions
Drainage issues!
Hoping the drainage experts can contribute. We have...
mrsgoss
Bed lines don't matter if....
They're covered in snow! It will be interesting to...
Bama_Joe
Ditched my landscaper - yellow pine choice
Going to my local Camellia expert's nursery and just...
Bama_Joe
Landscaping front yard, zone 5. HELP!!!! :)
We have recently done some work to our front yard (tearing...
midwestmelissa
Can a new wood fence be moved?
I recently purchased a house with a newly installed...
dyhgarden
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™