Grading issues

EDMRUTHERFORDMay 17, 2014

I have a lot grading issue that developed over this past winter and is starting to affect the support of my fence. In the spring the snow melt collects along the fence and doesn't drain. I am wondering what is the best way to correct this issue. I also have standing water beside my deck.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
yardvaark

How is the fence support compromised?

What about during normal rain ... does the lot drain?

It looks to me that the gap that should be below the fence is nearly non-existent.

Bookmark   May 17, 2014 at 7:56PM
marcinde(7)

It also looks like there's a slab on the other side of the fence, probably pitched to the fence so the water has nowhere to go.

Bookmark   May 18, 2014 at 9:51AM
EDMRUTHERFORD

The fence post is leaning into the neighbours yard, durring a heavy rain there isn't a lot if standing water but the ground is really soft and saturated in those areas. I think the slab is just some boards laid on the ground to close off the gap under the fence, are you thinking this was the root cause of the problem?

Bookmark   May 18, 2014 at 11:46AM
yardvaark

"I think the slab is just some boards laid on the ground to close off the gap under the fence... Let's find of for sure what it is. There should be a gap under the fence.

Relative to the fence, if a bathtub full of water were suddenly dumped at the base of the fence, where would it run?

Bookmark   May 18, 2014 at 12:01PM
EDMRUTHERFORD

Ya they are just some rounded 4x4 posts the old neighbours put there for there small dogs. If a bath tub of water were dumped by the base of the fence some would run along the fence and some would run away from the fence towards my deck into the low spot.

Bookmark   May 18, 2014 at 4:05PM
yardvaark

You need to determine if the low spot near the deck can be filled and the area will drain, or if a path for drainage must be excavated beginning at the "low spot" and clearing the path for water to drain to an even lower spot. With ponding water, you're always looking for a place where the water should go and how it will get there.

It would be good to remove those boards at the bottom of the fence so that there is an air gap.

Bookmark   May 18, 2014 at 8:38PM
EDMRUTHERFORD

Thanx for the advice, I will try and raise the grade slightly by the deck and I think I will try and put a French drain in along the fence.

Bookmark   May 19, 2014 at 12:24AM
yardvaark

I wish we had consistent definition for "french" drain. To me, it is a "dead end" cavity in the ground where water is quickly put out of sight and then gradually seeps into the ground. It may work for you here if the water volume is low. It is always inferior to proper grading and generally inferior to regular drains (where water runs to a lower grade where it is let out of the pipe).

Bookmark   May 19, 2014 at 12:16PM
More Discussions
Front Yard Landscape Help! Zone 10a
We are looking to remodel the front of our home. We...
honesthouse
Help with paint colors and landscaping please!
Please help me create a home from this tiny house!...
H
Shrubs need to get pulled out U-G-L-Y
Hi Forum Members: I recently bought my house and the...
dmo12240
Drainage issues!
Hoping the drainage experts can contribute. We have...
mrsgoss
Wind, sun and what best fits my backyard
Hi everyone! Please ignore the grass situation, will...
Bama_Joe
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™