HAVE: Jasmine 'Grand Duke of Tuscony'

karyn1(7a)August 5, 2012

This is a small rooted cutting but it is in bud. I'd like to trade for another blooming size variety such as Maid of Orleans or maybe some other fragrant plant.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
tess1893(NC 6/7)

How about diplodenia?

Bookmark   August 5, 2012 at 10:01PM
karyn1(7a)

Thanks but I already have "Red Riding Hood" and other colors of mandevillas and allamandas.

Bookmark   August 5, 2012 at 10:48PM
MoonFire(8b)

I can get cuttings of confederate jasmine, a big gardenia (don't know the name of it), purple wisteria, and yellow and white honeysuckle...i don't have any rooted cuttings yet tho...they would be fresh cuttings...unless i could find a baby of the honeysuckle maybe...if you don't mind non-rooted cuttings i could send several for the rooted plant...i understand if you only want rooted for rooted tho...just let me know :)

Bookmark   August 6, 2012 at 9:32PM
karyn1(7a)

I have several gardenias and confederate jasmine as well as wisteria "Amethyst Falls" and I don't want honeysuckle. I also only want rooted plants. Thanks for the offer, sorry I have to decline.

Bookmark   August 7, 2012 at 6:05AM
MoonFire(8b)

okie dokie Karyn :) if i had it already i wouldn't want it either lol, especially non rooted for rooted if i had it all already...just thought i'd throw it out there in case...have a good day, Dianne

Bookmark   August 7, 2012 at 7:16AM
berkebun(Florida 9a)

Hi Karyn, I would love to have your jasmine. I have a crepe jasmine and also can give you Gardenia or Maid of Orleans cutting. Or please check my trade list. thanks

Bookmark   August 7, 2012 at 2:36PM
karyn1(7a)

It has found a home. Thanks

Bookmark   August 8, 2012 at 10:42AM
Need2SeeGreen(10 (SoCal))

Hi Karyn,

I hope it is not too late, but I wanted to ask, how did you get your Grand Duke cutting to live? I've tried twice now, and they seem to root okay, but then the leaves fall off and it dies.

I make a cutting of what seems like a nice green part of the plant, and stick it in dirt and keep it moist. I don't remember exactly, but I probably used rooting hormone.

I would love to be able to share this plant! How did you do it??

Any advice would be helpful. Thanks for reading.

Bookmark   January 30, 2013 at 3:52PM
karyn1(7a)

Need2SeeGreen I have excellent results with GD jasmine cuttings. I take cuttings during active growth. I like cuttings that are about a year old, firm but not too woody and just stick it in some soil and keep it moist (not wet) and warm. I don't bother with rooting hormones. Sometimes I'll enclose it in a baggie if it's drying out too quickly. They are usually well rooted in about 4-6 weeks. Once rooted I treat it like I would any other mature jasmine. Maybe you are using cuttings that are too green or taking them while the plant isn't actively growing?

Bookmark   January 31, 2013 at 8:50AM

Thanks for your message! I will try again.

I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong, because I think they do root, they just don't ever start growing. I'll try without the rooting hormone, and maybe what I'll do is try putting on some fertilizer or moving them more into the sun once they've rooted. I had been keeping them a little bit shaded during the rooting and maybe they don't like it.

Thanks again!

Bookmark   January 31, 2013 at 6:08PM
karyn1(7a)

Need2SeeGreen I wouldn't use fertilizer until they are well rooted but what will help is giving the cuttings some B1. This will encourage root development. You can soak the cuttings in water with some added B1 for several hours before potting them up and continue to water with B1. If you can't find B1 use something like Superthrive which does contain B1.

Bookmark   February 1, 2013 at 7:56AM

Wow, thanks again for the great tip!!! I've never heard of using B1. It should heat up soon here, I hope, and the plant will start growing again.

Bookmark   February 2, 2013 at 1:22AM
More Discussions
HAVE: Arisaema proboscideum (mouse plant)
These Arisaema proboscideum had multiplied so much...
bunnynomnom
HAVE: Rare Banana Plants, Grape Cuttings, Figs
Have banana plants for trade, couple different varieties,...
katts380
Wanted: asiatic lilies and tulip bulbs
Hello. Im looking for asiatic lilies and bright colored...
ericmd01
WANTED: Kudzu Wanted
Looking for kudzu cuttings in exchange for the following: catnip...
AndreaFarmer
2nd annual 'Shovel Prune' plant swap Portland, OR area)
Just wanted remind people to start thinking about,...
duane456
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™