Cherry Tomato Help, Please!

lilyluvJuly 15, 2011

Container gardening for the first time this year...boy, have I learned a lot, but need your help on the tomatoes. The cherry tomatoes are growing in a large 25-30 gallon pot. I planted 3 plants in that pot, which I now know were 1-2 too many. Anyway, I started them in a Miracle Grow potting mix (I know, need one of Al's mixes, but was too late for this year by the time I read about them). I picked 8 of them last night that seemed red enough to pick. On the bottom of ALL of them are one large brown circle about the size of a dime. Not a hole like a bug or worm, just an ugly perfectly round brown circle about the size of a dime. So this morning I checked my still green tomatoes and they have them too. Yikes! Does anyone know what is going on here?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
noinwi

It's Blossom End Rot. Here's a link to more info...

Here is a link that might be useful: Tomato Forum FAQs

Bookmark   July 15, 2011 at 12:27PM
lilyluv

Thanks noinwi! That is it! I read the article, and I probably over-watered thus drained out the calcium. Now for the fix....Has anyone had good results with any of the treatments that are in the article or any other suggestions? This is what the article stated..
"Once the problem develops, quick fixes are difficult. Stabilize the moisture level as much as possible, feeding with manure or compost tea is recommended by many, foliar applications of calcium are of questionable value according to research because of poor absorption and movement to fruit where it is needed but many have reported that foliar application of magnesium (epsom salts) can effect added calcium uptake. Other various suggestions consist of powdered milk, crushed egg shells tea, bone meal tea, Tums tablets, etc. but prevention is the key. Some recommend removing affected fruit from to reduce stress in the plant."
Thanks!!

Bookmark   July 15, 2011 at 1:00PM
greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a

What fertilizer are you using?

Josh

Bookmark   July 15, 2011 at 1:49PM
lilyluv

Miracle Gro. the blue granule stuff that you put in the jar and hook up to the water hose. Is that bad?

Bookmark   July 17, 2011 at 8:18AM
achampag(5b)

hi! im basically in the same boat...what i decided to do was put about 5 cups of compost into each bucket. they say make the tea, but in the 5 or so days that takes, the plants roots will start taking up good stuff from the compost...is going well...

they say that usually just the first fruit is affected, and i find this to be true. throwing the bad ones is fun =)

Bookmark   July 17, 2011 at 9:26AM
More Discussions
Any issues planting in copper pots?
I have some old copper containers I want to use for...
garden_dogs
PVC liner OK for growing food?
A contractor friend of mine made me a planter box to...
gourdo1
Apartment composting and container gardening.
Any tips or tricks using apartment compost with your...
newgardenelf
CONTAINER SOILS - WATER MOVEMENT and RETENTION XXII
Hello! Houzz's new format has presented some challenges,...
tapla (mid-MI z5b-6a)
To find popular threads try this...
When you are looking for popular threads from the GW...
Loveplants2 8b Virginia Beach, Virginia
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™