Trellising Natchez Blackberry

Buckeye85July 9, 2012

I potted a Natchez blackberry plant (a semi-erect variety, apparently) this season in Al's 5-1-1 mix not really expecting much - it was a bit sad-looking when I bought it (definitely an impulse buy - it was heavily discounted), and I was under the impression blackberries are hard to deal with, but it has really taken off, sprawling vigorously in three different directions.

It's in a 3 gallon container right now, and I have no idea how to trellis it in such a way that I'll be able to move it easily (we're doing the apartment thing) next year. Do I need to transplant it again into a larger container? Suggestions on the best trellis type?

I am relatively hopeless with this sort of thing - I have never trellised anything before, and my pruning skills are less than desirable.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
ejh805(8b)

Where I live in Alabama, we have blackberries like yours growing wild like weeds on the sides of roads, on fences, in the woods etc. So I'm pretty sure they're a hardy plant, although I've never personally tried growing them because of their weed-like presence where I am.

Considering how huge I've seen them grow in the ground, I'd recommend putting it in a larger pot if possible.

As for trellising, since you're in an apartment, you may want to do something like cutting a tomato cage in half and placing that half in the pot with the plant, so the curve of the half-cage will fit with the pot and it'll be easy to move around. Then just direct the growth of your plant onto the half-cage.

Bookmark   July 17, 2012 at 10:04AM
More Discussions
Growing Dahlia and Sweet Pea in same container? (advice)
I have a few very large planters, and while I do love...
silverrowan
Reusing infested soil
Last year, my outdoor container-grown kale suffered...
SighBorg
Summer Squash
Last spring/summer, I planted a summer squash that...
meawea
Al's Gritty Mix -- A Learning Experinece
I came to this forum a few weeks ago in an attempt...
Jessicasgrowincitrus
Miniature rose plant..
Got this from nursery yesterday .. But something is...
amriteanukul112
Sponsored Products
Arbor Wooden Arch Trellis
Overstock.com
Floral Garden Trellis
Grandin Road
Ravena Rectangular: 5 Ft. x 8 Ft. Rug
$438.00 | Bellacor
Austram Lotus Bench - 22010526
$130.53 | Hayneedle
Beige & Rust Trellis Rug
$39.99 | zulily