Trellising Natchez Blackberry

Buckeye85July 9, 2012

I potted a Natchez blackberry plant (a semi-erect variety, apparently) this season in Al's 5-1-1 mix not really expecting much - it was a bit sad-looking when I bought it (definitely an impulse buy - it was heavily discounted), and I was under the impression blackberries are hard to deal with, but it has really taken off, sprawling vigorously in three different directions.

It's in a 3 gallon container right now, and I have no idea how to trellis it in such a way that I'll be able to move it easily (we're doing the apartment thing) next year. Do I need to transplant it again into a larger container? Suggestions on the best trellis type?

I am relatively hopeless with this sort of thing - I have never trellised anything before, and my pruning skills are less than desirable.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
ejh805(8b)

Where I live in Alabama, we have blackberries like yours growing wild like weeds on the sides of roads, on fences, in the woods etc. So I'm pretty sure they're a hardy plant, although I've never personally tried growing them because of their weed-like presence where I am.

Considering how huge I've seen them grow in the ground, I'd recommend putting it in a larger pot if possible.

As for trellising, since you're in an apartment, you may want to do something like cutting a tomato cage in half and placing that half in the pot with the plant, so the curve of the half-cage will fit with the pot and it'll be easy to move around. Then just direct the growth of your plant onto the half-cage.

Bookmark   July 17, 2012 at 10:04AM
More Discussions
PVC liner OK for growing food?
A contractor friend of mine made me a planter box to...
gourdo1
Coarse Perlite for 5:1:1
Hi all, first off is "coarse" the correct...
halocline
Dealing with Water-Retentive Soils
Dealing with Water-Retentive Soilscolor>size> A...
tapla (mid-MI z5b-6a)
Type of kale... Also, shiny metallic flakes?
Hey, my friend gave me some kale seeds from her plants...
Josie Murray
Long Term Potting Mix Recipe - Alternative to Gritty Mix
Hi everyone, I'm a new gardener from Perth, Western...
arcan
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™