need help with small flower beds

ctstarMay 17, 2010

Hi! I have two small flower beds in the front of the house.I was given a ton of scalloped bricks for the edge. i am thinking of doing the white rocks instead of the mulch. But my problem is what to plant. I want it to look nice all spring and summer. I have some irises to put in.Where do I look to know what to put in. I am in CT

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
missingtheobvious(Blue Ridge 7a)

I want it to look nice all spring and summer.

To provide a more helpful answer, I think we need to know what you mean by 'nice.'

Flowers? Colors? Matching something? Complementing other plantings (what color are the irises, for example)? Complementing the house color? Looking good without much maintenance? Perennials that will repeat the show next year?

How large are the beds? How deep are they? How many iris are there? Do you need something a particular height (shorter than the foundation shrubs, if any)?

A photo would answer many of these questions.

Also, what direction does the house face, and how much sun do the beds receive? Different plants are happier in different conditions.

Bookmark   May 17, 2010 at 6:51PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
isabella__MA(z5_MA)

White rocks can be a bust.... They look great when newly installed, but with age (silting in with debris)they look like a dirty white dress shirt with a dingy yellow collar.

Bookmark   May 17, 2010 at 7:25PM
More Discussions
seeking creative solution to pine root damage in driveway
Hello, My neighbor has some large pines which are on...
gardnergal
Please need help 100% blank slate both front and back
Hi guys glad I found this forum been reading alot of...
lexysdad04
Front Yard Landscape Help! Zone 10a
We are looking to remodel the front of our home. We...
honesthouse
Spacing for Armstrong Maple and Crimson Spire Oak
I plan to provide height to the borders of my backyard...
Bob Sislow
Shrubs need to get pulled out U-G-L-Y
Hi Forum Members: I recently bought my house and the...
dmo12240
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™