smartpots and 5-1-1 observations

hairmetal4ever(Z7 MD)July 18, 2014

I'm so far impressed using a slightly modified 5-1-1 in fabric Smart Pots with ground contact.

I used somewhat smaller fines in this mix (only 1/4" or smaller instead of 3/8"), but otherwise it's "regular" 5-1-1. I had concerns about the wicking and evaporation of the smart pots causing me to need a LOT of watering, but I've found I can get by nearly a week without watering, but that may change as the pots fill with more roots.

Here's the WOW factor for me -

June 25, I transplanted some Scarlet Oak seedlings that were in 3" square, 4" deep root pruning cells (Rootmaker 18-cell trays) into the 1 Gallon smart pots.

Yesterday, I moved one and noticed that it had some resistance - in three weeks - a dozen or so roots had penetrated the fabric into the soil below. In THREE WEEKS! An OAK seedling!

I don't know if it's the vigor of the plant, or the breathability of the pot and 5-1-1 mix, but I'm impressed.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a

Hello!
Yes, oak seedlings have a strong desire to tap! But I've found that all of my plants - from veggies to cryptomeria - thrive in a 5-1-1 or similar mix. My #5 nursery containers are requiring water every 2 - 3 days in this California heat, but I certainly could have adjusted that by increasing the container size a gallon or two.

Josh

Bookmark   July 21, 2014 at 12:57PM
More Discussions
What's eating/happening to my bougainvillea?!?!?!
The leaves are being scaled and then turing brown with...
ninetyfivem3
Pine Bark Fines Substitute?
I'm having trouble finding pine bark fines for the...
johnweh
Container potatoes in straw?
I tried growing potatoes in straw in garbage bags last...
beesneeds
Type of kale... Also, shiny metallic flakes?
Hey, my friend gave me some kale seeds from her plants...
Josie Murray
Dealing with Water-Retentive Soils
Dealing with Water-Retentive Soilscolor>size> A...
tapla (mid-MI z5b-6a)
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™