smartpots and 5-1-1 observations

hairmetal4ever(Z7 MD)July 18, 2014

I'm so far impressed using a slightly modified 5-1-1 in fabric Smart Pots with ground contact.

I used somewhat smaller fines in this mix (only 1/4" or smaller instead of 3/8"), but otherwise it's "regular" 5-1-1. I had concerns about the wicking and evaporation of the smart pots causing me to need a LOT of watering, but I've found I can get by nearly a week without watering, but that may change as the pots fill with more roots.

Here's the WOW factor for me -

June 25, I transplanted some Scarlet Oak seedlings that were in 3" square, 4" deep root pruning cells (Rootmaker 18-cell trays) into the 1 Gallon smart pots.

Yesterday, I moved one and noticed that it had some resistance - in three weeks - a dozen or so roots had penetrated the fabric into the soil below. In THREE WEEKS! An OAK seedling!

I don't know if it's the vigor of the plant, or the breathability of the pot and 5-1-1 mix, but I'm impressed.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a

Hello!
Yes, oak seedlings have a strong desire to tap! But I've found that all of my plants - from veggies to cryptomeria - thrive in a 5-1-1 or similar mix. My #5 nursery containers are requiring water every 2 - 3 days in this California heat, but I certainly could have adjusted that by increasing the container size a gallon or two.

Josh

Bookmark   July 21, 2014 at 12:57PM
More Discussions
glowing pots
Not sure if this is the right place for this but I...
mystmaiden
Arabian Jasmine help
Hello I have had an Arabian Jasmine in a pot on my...
flyinbtsomypants (WestCent.FL Z9b-10a)
anything you wanted to talk about vii - prolly mostly ot
I guess I didn't realize the last thread was about...
tapla (mid-MI z5b-6a)
Strawberries came back! Now what?!?
Last summer I planted some Sequoia strawberries in...
vp_78
Miniature rose plant..
Got this from nursery yesterday .. But something is...
amriteanukul112
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™