Should I stop using glazed pots?

quiverws6July 2, 2011

Hi all,

I have some bell peppers growing on my balcony. I started them from seed and they seem to be growing OK but the plant in the clay pot is double the size,greener and has more foliage than the one growing in a glazed pot. I water them the same but I'm wondering if glazed one is too saturated because the glazed pot isn't porous. Any tips on what I should do? I'm considering transplanting it into a clay pot as well

Thanks!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
edweather(Zone 5a/b Central NY)

Good question, I'll be curious about others answers. Seems that as long as the drainage is good there shouldn't be a problem. Unless the glazed pot is different color, it could be a temperature thing. Funny.........I had the same thing with 2 pepper plants also.....one was doing much better and I can't figure out why.

Bookmark   July 2, 2011 at 1:51PM
Spongey600

i am personally not a fan of "glazed" pots. from what i have read/personal experience is that the glazed pot will retain more water as well as restrict the air flow. the unglazed pots help with "wicking" water and allowing the soil to breathe. i have a succulent in a glazed pot that i water every 14 days and the same sized succulent in the same sized unglazed pot i water every 7 days.

Eric

Bookmark   July 2, 2011 at 2:55PM
Ohiofem(6a Ohio)

I prefer unglazed pots because there is a little less chance of overwatering. But glazed pots are no worse than plastic pots, and are usually more attractive than plastic. What really matters is the mix you use in the container. I have grown succulents in gritty mix and orchids in fir bark or sphagnum moss in glazed pots with no problems. I do water less in any pot that is impermeable.

Bookmark   July 4, 2011 at 11:25AM
meyermike_1micha(5)

I was thinking the same thing as Ohio.

I grow many plants in just about anything and I find that using a grittier mix or one that is porous allows room for this.

If you are using regular mixes or ones that take time to dry out, then I would be very cautious of how much water mine receive in plastic and non porous/glazed containers.

Bookmark   July 4, 2011 at 7:41PM
More Discussions
zone 9 or so best roses for containers
what are your best roses for container gardening
zippity1
Need advice for container garden for elderly woman
I have a question on container gardening for an elderly...
sharonkdr
Buckeye re-potting - Trees in Containers (pics)
Hello and good afternoon, container gardeners! California...
greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a
Question about too much dryness in my container garden
I have several Behlen food-grade stocktanks (1x2x6)...
catherinet
What's eating/happening to my bougainvillea?!?!?!
The leaves are being scaled and then turing brown with...
ninetyfivem3
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™