Gnats or Fleas

terrybugApril 16, 2013

Hello all., for several weeks I have notice tiny gnats or maybe there r fleas all over my plants. Most are in cell packs. Is there anything I can use to get rid of them? Anything homemade? Do they do any kind of damage?
Thank you for your help with this matter.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
IAmSupernova(SE Texas 9A)

Bugs are part of gardening and you shouldn't worry about them unless they pose a problem. A lot insects are actually insects you WANT on your plants... I love seeing lady bugs and assassin bugs hiding on my plants.

Pictures would be needed to ID whatever it is you have to determine if it's something you should be worried about. There's also a forum for IDing possible pests where you're likely to get better answers. It's below.

Here is a link that might be useful: Pests and Diseases

This post was edited by IAmSupernova on Tue, Apr 16, 13 at 12:45

Bookmark   April 16, 2013 at 12:44PM
linzelu100(7a)

Are there a lot, or just a few?

I get them every year, gnats, or what have you, here and there, on my seedlings I grow under lights and on windowsills. When I see one on a leaf, I smoosh it, but I don't really worry too much about them. It happens every year and my plants do just fine when I get them in the ground outside. I think it may have something to do with wet soil inside the house. I never have houseplants (although I would like too) because it always attracts these gnats we are talking about.

Lindsey

Bookmark   April 17, 2013 at 11:23AM
terrybug

Thanks for the replies. this is the first time this has happen to me. I don't start indoors always outdoors, but the weather here in so cal have been wierd, hot then cold then hot again n then cold. But i have read that it could be due to wet soil. Thanks again.
Terry

Bookmark   April 17, 2013 at 11:40AM
More Discussions
what varieties of watermelons are you growing?
what varieties of watermelons are you growing?
gridgardener
Where is the sweet potato post?
Someone on here wanted to know if sweet potatoes would...
zzackey
Best kind of mulch for vegetable garden
What kind of mulch is recommended for a veggie garden?...
Peter
Do eggplants have high yield?
I'm going to grow one. Thinking of growing two. Do...
shijitake
Woody Parsnips
What causes parsnips to develop wrinkly skin and woody...
qbush
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™