using siphon w a drip system?

mantorvillain(z4bMN Dodge)July 1, 2012

I have hozon siphon from years ago (paperwork long gone of course)and a cheep drip system. Would it work to put the siphon inline to pick up weak feeding solution? I seem to recall that siphons work best at full flow so am wondering if it would work with the reduced rate/pressure of the drip system. Anyone done this or have insights? I can easily keep mixing and watering manually but want to put in the drip system on timer for my brugs anyway.

thanks for any input.

will

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
denninmi(8a)

It probably won't have enough flow to work. That was my experience with those and drip irrigation. I used to use one with about 2000 feet to T-tape, and it had enough flow volume to pick up the fertilizer when the lines were filling, but once the system got up to pressure and was just dripping even that wasn't enough flow to make it siphon. My solution to that issue was to mix the concentrate really, really strong, and it would take up a fair amount, several gallons, and then dilute it out with a couple of hours of watering. But I wouldn't advise trying that on potted plants, I was doing this in a large vegetable garden on field soil.

Bookmark   July 1, 2012 at 9:18PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
cole_robbie(6)

The only place my hozon does not work is one garden where the header line is on the downhill end of the garden. Pushing the water uphill makes too much back pressure. The length of the row does not seem to matter. I can run eight 300' rows just fine on flat ground with the hozon. But four 125' rows will not siphon at all going up a gentle slope. fwiw, my EZ-Flow won't work worth a darn on that garden, either.

Bookmark   July 3, 2012 at 5:12PM
More Discussions
I have a cold, south facing porch. What container flowers might grow?
It's cold there now. In a few weeks nothing will free...
Blue Hills Gardens and Designs
Raised Bed Question
I bought 2 raised beds, 6' x 6' x 10". Can I stack...
sokrmomtx
To find popular threads try this...
When you are looking for popular threads from the GW...
Loveplants2 8b Virginia Beach, Virginia
Container potatoes in straw?
I tried growing potatoes in straw in garbage bags last...
beesneeds
What's eating/happening to my bougainvillea?!?!?!
The leaves are being scaled and then turing brown with...
ninetyfivem3
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™