Oops!

btbarbara(7b/8a)July 5, 2011

I got kind of a late start (not a big deal here in GA because we can grow well into the fall) but I've still been feeling kind of frustrated that I have about 100 miles of vines taking over my yard and only one little cantaloupe and one baby pumpkin. I see lots of female flowers on my cukes and pumpkins but only males on my cantaloupes and watermelons. So last night I did some reading about hand-pollinating and looked at all the pictures I could find online to make sure I'd recognize a female flower. I went out this morning to really search for any shy girl flowers that were hiding and much to my surprise, I found one...covered in ants so I didn't really want to mess with her. But look...what's that over there? A watermelon the size of a golf ball? And HOLY COW! Good thing it wasn't a snake because it would have bitten me before I saw it!

Both of my boys have July birthdays and the birthday watermelon is a bigger deal at our house than the cake. I'm so stoked that they might get to serve a watermelon we grew ourselves at this year's party! I hope it's ok...the vines had it pretty well pinned to the ground so it's a little deformed. About the size of a skinny football (I think this one is Jubilee but I could be wrong). The top looks beautiful and the bottom is kind of white/yellow. Should I roll it over? I did break it out of its little cage so it can continue to grow. I guess we'll see. But apparently Mother Nature has things under control!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
btbarbara(7b/8a)

When my boys came home from Grandma's, I took them out to see the watermelon and my 4 year old found THREE more that I totally didn't see this morning. Clearly I need to check under those vines a little bit closer! The boys weren't as excited as I'd hoped but I think they were just mad that we didn't get to cut one today...this whole gardening thing has definitely been an exercise in delayed gratification for them!

Bookmark   July 5, 2011 at 8:41PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
dickiefickle(5B Dousman,Wi.)

Put one in a box and you can grow a square melon

Bookmark   July 5, 2011 at 9:11PM
More Discussions
Making my garden easy care
I need an easy are garden. Because of ill health ,...
Carry2
Help! My slash pine seedlings in containers are turning yellowish
I have several hundred slash pine seedlings I put in...
George Spector
My New Raised Container Garden - Thanks for all the Help
This is really more of a conversational post. No real...
Cliff Pruitt
Cor-ten planters safe for growing edibles?
I'd like to grow some edibles but the best sun is in...
midwestgal67
Need advice for container garden for elderly woman
I have a question on container gardening for an elderly...
sharonkdr
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™