possible nutrient problem

weirdflowers(5)July 24, 2012

Hi all-

This year, I tried a soil-less mix for my plants. I modified the 5-1-1 to 5 parts sifted pine bark, 1 part pine bark fines, 1.5 parts pea gravel, and I added dolomite to the mix. I water every three days or so with Miracle-Gro 24-8-16 with about 1/4 tsp to a gallon of tap water. Everything seemed to be going fine, but within the past couple of weeks I've started noticing problems.

This is an Amorphophallus konjac 'Gordon's Gold', a variety with an unusually light leaf. There's some blotchiness on the leaf, and a couple of the tips aren't looking so good.

Amorphophallus myosuroides. The dead part of the leaf on the left turned dark and translucent before it shriveled up like that, and I've seen a little bit of that on some of my other plants as well.

This last one is another konjac showing some of the blotchiness I mentioned above. I've noticed this on several other plants as well.

So....I've looked at some resources on nutrient deficiency and my best guess is a manganese issue, but if anyone can help me out, I'd really appreciate it.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
tapla (mid-MI z5b-6a)

It may very well be a cultural issue linked to over-watering - that would be my guess, based on the pics. Try a wick and watch watering carefully?

Al

Bookmark   July 24, 2012 at 2:54PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
prestons_garden(9B SZ 22 HZ 6 SoCal)

Try epsom salts. ;-0

Bookmark   July 25, 2012 at 2:07AM
More Discussions
Al and others..Foliage Pro fertilizer?
I just wanted to get an update on what you think of...
meyermike_1micha
Need advice for container garden for elderly woman
I have a question on container gardening for an elderly...
sharonkdr
I have a cold, south facing porch. What container flowers might grow?
It's cold there now. In a few weeks nothing will free...
Blue Hills Gardens and Designs
Buckeye re-potting - Trees in Containers (pics)
Hello and good afternoon, container gardeners! California...
greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a
Apartment composting and container gardening.
Any tips or tricks using apartment compost with your...
newgardenelf
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™