Help with ideas

agrgory413(9)May 10, 2014

I have lived in my house for 5 years now and haven't done anything with the landscape. I have found that anytime I am wondering the local nurseries I just get overwhelmed. I want some easy to maintain landscaping, but I want it to look very clean and "professional."

I don't have a problem doing the dirty work, I just don't really know what plants pair well together. I know if I did it, I would make it look like I threw random plants in the ground.

I really like palms trees and the such. I think the main thing is clean looking and lower maintenance... A little shrub trimming wouldn't be bad, I just don't have a ton of time to work on it every weekend.

Any input would be much appreciated. Thank you in advance!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
agrgory413(9)

And this is my side yard. I had to pull the middle hedges because some if them had died off because of a black fungus. I was thinking about putting hedges back, or possibly taller ornimental grass with something in between to break it up.

Bookmark   May 10, 2014 at 7:22PM
yardvaark

Wish you had better pictures. They're a bit dark and muddy. Could stand to be 25% larger, too. Can't see details of the area where palms, fence and some kind of stone wall is at the left half of first picture. How much depth of bed is there between the walk and fence in second picture?

Bookmark   May 11, 2014 at 8:34AM
stolenidentity

I would put the standard California beauties...bougainvillea all along the fence and porch, bird of paradise for some height along the porch and corner, and ice plant for ground cover in front of the porch. Also just pop in some annuals like geranium, petunia, etc. (these can be removed easily when they croak). Low maintenance, evergreen, and pretty during the blooming season. Do make sure your HOA approves your plantings if there is one.

This post was edited by sasafras on Sun, May 11, 14 at 20:30

Bookmark   May 11, 2014 at 8:26PM
shar037

Great suggestions Sasafras!
How about a dwarf Japanese Maple "Red Dragon", at one of the front corners of the front bed.

Bookmark   May 12, 2014 at 8:20AM
emmarene

It looks to me as if the bed rounding the porch is too shallow for shrubs. Perennials would work there. How do you irrigate?

Bookmark   May 12, 2014 at 2:44PM
More Discussions
Help for shade
I need some advice . I have recently moved into a house...
Chris Cousineau
Front yard design help
Looking to finally put some plants in the front yard....
Matt Johnston
On Site Calculations - Area
If you do construction as well as design, sooner or...
pls8xx
Help with frontyard design changes
Hi, I’m in the process of replacing turf in my front...
quikslvr0017
Landscape Advice Needed | New Homeowners
We just purchased our first home in the southeast and...
Sarah Bain
Sponsored Products
Medici Two-Bottle Wine Box
$19.99 | zulily
Black Trim Miranda Power-Loomed Rug
$29.99 | zulily
Soleil Grande Clear One-Light Pendant with Antique Bronze Canopy
Bellacor
Interlock Maze Rug 3'6" x 5'6" - PAIRS (BROWN/RUST
$199.00 | Horchow
Set of 2 Victoria Style Ghost Dining Chair Clear Color
eModern Decor
Traditional Zebra Rug 3'9" x 5'9" - CHOCOALTE
$259.00 | Horchow
My Scene Ruffle Batiste Raspberry Pink 84 x 50-Inch Blackout Window Curtain Sing
$34.99 | Bellacor
Dryden Summit View Muslin Rectangular: 5 Ft. 3 In. x 7 Ft. 10 In. Rug
$298.40 | Bellacor
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™