Semi-hydroponics?

chilliwin(EU DK 7)July 13, 2013

Should I change the water and add fertilizer! I did not plan to grow like this.

I was out of stock of containers so just I used two plastic baskets. One of them has a lot of holes, I used it for screening pine bark fine before. Now these two baskets are functioned like a type of self-watering system. The soil is well-drain so all the excess water remain to the second basket. The roots started to grow in the water without any damage. The plant is ildi Cherry Tomato this is my first time growing tomatoes. The strings are for "Florida Weave" :-) Thank you Teyo, it works so good.

Should I call it "Semi-hydroponics"! one plant but two types of roots one for the soil and another for the water :-).

Just I am sharing this experience with you and any advice to give the plants some benefit are welcome.

Caelian

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
gjshawk(6)

Hi, Caelian,
I have SIPs (sub-irrigated planters), and have learned that the roots of whatever plants I have growing in them eventually reach the water reservoir, and grow just fine in the water. I have read that they are "water roots" and are healthy unless you let the water dry out, and then they die.

I didn't expect it, but I guess its normal. Attached photo shows my summer squash. Their roots are in the water too.

Bookmark   July 13, 2013 at 8:39PM
gjshawk(6)

I wonder why sometimes messages post twice. I edited the copy to this wonderful gem of wisdom.

This post was edited by gjshawk on Sun, Jul 14, 13 at 19:45

Bookmark   July 13, 2013 at 8:41PM
chilliwin(EU DK 7)

Hi Gjshwawk,
Your summer squash look very healthy and nice. I won't allow to dry the water and would like to add some liquid fertilizer.

Thank you for sharing.
Caelian

Bookmark   July 14, 2013 at 2:00AM
More Discussions
Help! My kumqat is dying
Hello everyone, I am hoping to get some help related...
bashchelik
Coarse Perlite for 5:1:1
Hi all, first off is "coarse" the correct...
halocline
Type of kale... Also, shiny metallic flakes?
Hey, my friend gave me some kale seeds from her plants...
Josie Murray
zone 9 or so best roses for containers
what are your best roses for container gardening
zippity1
Meyer Exploding in 5-1-1
My meyer lemon in 5-1-1 is just going nuts right now....
Jay Part Shade (Zone 10B, S21, Los Angeles)
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™