Difficult Space-Raised Beds?

AmbrogalMay 20, 2014

We removed overgrown bushes next to an old garage. The roots are very sturdy and can't be removed because of damage to the patio (the trunks are going to be cut closer to the ground). Now that we have to work around these roots, we're thinking we'll have to do a raised bed(s) of some sort to cover up the roots. Any creative ideas for this space? A series of raised beds? Tall grasses? Topiaries?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
yardvaark

Because the planting bed is too narrow anyway, I'd remove the 3 patio blocks at the garage center and move the new plants away from the wall a little. You can trim the stumps to within 1" of grade. Plant what you wish, but 1 gallon containers will probably work best in relatively small planting holes. You should be able to get them pretty close to the desired location, or cut through old shrub roots where needed. If you don't remove the 3 blocks, you're limited to smaller, vertical plants.

Bookmark   May 20, 2014 at 10:52PM
Ambrogal

Thank you Yardvaark. I hadn't thought of removing some of the blocks. Was only thinking of working around them. We're going to consider this option....getting those blocks out without ruining the newly planted grass could be an issue, but the end result might be worth the hassle of planting new grass. I appreciate your thoughts!

Bookmark   May 21, 2014 at 6:02PM
yardvaark

A hedge of bigleaf hydrangea could be nice there and about the right size... surrounded with a groundcover or low flowering perennial.

Bookmark   May 21, 2014 at 9:25PM
Ambrogal

Yardvaark: Hey that is really cool and I can picture what it might look like! I wish I knew how to do these things. You must have Photoshop or something similar. Thank you so much for your suggestions. We are considering all of them! :) I'll post a photo of the finished product.

Bookmark   May 23, 2014 at 12:44PM
yardvaark

Draw on any photo (or just draw) using MS Paint. It helps if you have a touchscreen and stylus.

Bookmark   May 23, 2014 at 1:03PM
Ambrogal

Thank you Yardvaark. I hadn't thought of removing some of the blocks. Was only thinking of working around them. We're going to consider this option....getting those blocks out without ruining the newly planted grass could be an issue, but the end result might be worth the hassle of planting new grass. I appreciate your thoughts!

Bookmark   May 26, 2014 at 7:26AM
More Discussions
light green leaf tree
Looking for a bright green leaf small/medium sized...
guatnut
New construction landscaping
I am looking for any suggestions for low maintenance...
lauracrawford28
Trying to design a border in front of elevated deck
I want to plant several shrubs in front of my elevated...
northraleighguy
Need help with landscaping my front hillside
I need some help with landscaping my front hillside....
dabeevm25
quick screen
I'm zone 7 and the spot is full sun. I had a 12' photinia...
Mary Bright
Sponsored Products
Arlee Home Fashions Kirby Geometric Quilted Blackout Grommet Panel Pair - 29-414
$38.99 | Hayneedle
Summer Silhouette Giclee LED Reading Light Plug-In Sconce
Lamps Plus
Marietta Nightstand - WOOD
$1,999.00 | Horchow
Kendall Quilt
$69.99 | zulily
Siesta Canopy Outdoor Patio Daybed in Espresso Peridot
$999.00 | LexMod
Milton Chestnut Queen-size Bed
Overstock.com
People viewed this after searching for: