Help! Amend Garden Soil For Containers

smewoo(9)July 18, 2013

To start off this is my first time growing veggies in containers. I used to have a big yard where we were growing in the ground, but our house burned down so we had to move. Now I can only grow in containers.

I asked my husband to pick up some dirt for me yesterday and he came home with 5 big bags of Miracle-Groî Organic Choiceî Garden Soil. I of course didn't think and filled up my starter pots and planted some seeds in this stuff.

My first question is will these plants I just started in this stuff be ok? The starter pots I am using are only about 2" wide by 2" deep and obviously will be transplanted into much bigger pots. I will transplant them into soil more suitable for containers.

My second question is how can I amend this soil to be of use in containers? Just add perlite and peat moss? How much should I add?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
edweather(Zone 5a/b Central NY)

Can you return them and get some kind of potting mix?

Bookmark   July 18, 2013 at 7:57PM
smewoo(9)

I suppose I could with the bags I haven't opened yet. But how can I fix the rest?

Bookmark   July 18, 2013 at 8:13PM
fireduck(10a)

do not use this soil for containers. There are many threads here regarding free-draining mixes. Read them. At the least...get a commercial potting mix. Do NOT get MiracleGro Moisture Control. It makes a mucky mess in a pot. You can amend the potting soil with perlite or small-sized bark. A "cactus mix" is good because it is free-draining plus!

Bookmark   July 18, 2013 at 9:29PM
drew51 SE MI Z5b/6a

Yeah peat and perlite. I would use 1/3 of each. That garden soil is awesome stuff, just not for pots. It has a lot of compost in it too. I used it for my raised beds and they drain great. I mixed 1/3 peat and 1/3 compost with it, and no drainage problems. It truth, it drains a little too fast!
The peat will really help. My plants are growing like gang busters in that mix! Here's a strawberry bed with a blueberry in the middle. Awesome product All plants planted this spring.

Bookmark   July 19, 2013 at 7:42AM
More Discussions
Zuchinni/Courgette, lots of leaf growth, but not many fruit
Hi, My courgette plant is doing great in terms of leaf...
bopwinter
Type of kale... Also, shiny metallic flakes?
Hey, my friend gave me some kale seeds from her plants...
Josie Murray
Long Term Potting Mix Recipe - Alternative to Gritty Mix
Hi everyone, I'm a new gardener from Perth, Western...
arcan
Help with 5:1:1
Some lol-basic questions about quantities needed for...
containergardenerbeginner
Avocado as a Container Plant III
Well, another wonderful Summer is passing, and there...
greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™