Any issues planting in copper pots?

garden_dogsJuly 3, 2006

I have some old copper containers I want to use for planting. Are there any plants that would not be happy in a copper container?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
username_5(banned for no reason)

Hmmm... that's interesting. Were they made for being planted in?

Copper is one of the necessary plant nutrients, but it is toxic beyond small amounts.

The only concern I would have is too much leeching into the moist soil, but I have no idea how big a risk that actually is.

Bookmark   July 3, 2006 at 6:58PM
rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7

hmmmm. I wonder about this. Copper is used as an application to the inside of nursery containers (woody ornamentals...big sizes) to encourage the healthful growth of roots inside those containers. It does so by killing the fine roots that touch the copper, thus forcing the plant to grow more fine roots towards the inside.

I don't think I would use copper containers......(though have used copper marine paint to control root development).

I think I would plant into containers that fit INTO your copper planers. Copper will kill roots.

1 Like    Bookmark   July 3, 2006 at 10:02PM
jenny_in_se_pa(USDA7 Sunset 32)

I think as long as you don't intend to eat what you plant in there and the soil isn't acidic (that is a trigger for leaching), it should be okay. The downside is that copper is a good heat conductor and also oxidizes very readily (the "verdigris" or green/bluish patina that copper can form, along with other oxides that can cause the copper to brown or form white crystals), but these copper compounds can eventually flake off after awhile and you eventually lose pieces of the container...lol

In excess, copper (like aluminum, etc), can become too readily available in toxic quantities in an acidic environment. If you can't control the pH, what you can do is use the copper container as a decorative one and plant in a plastic container that is sunk in the copper one (or line the copper container with plastic and fill with soil - making sure there are drain holes in both).

Bookmark   July 4, 2006 at 9:58AM
rain1950(W. WA z8)

Here's a trick I use. Spray the inside surface with a couple coats of automotive undercoating. It seals the surface to prevent leaching and corrosion. Plant away!

Bookmark   July 4, 2006 at 10:40AM
rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7

Again, you can purchase copper lined containers, copper treated burlap, copper treated root barriers, copper lined grow bags, etc. All are used in the nursery industry because copper kills the fine roots. I don't think it's something you want in a permanent planter. So use our collective suggestions (liner, plastic, coating) just to be safe.

Bookmark   July 4, 2006 at 12:28PM
garden_dogs

Thanks everybody, I think the automotive sealer is probably the route I will take. They weren't originally planters but I like the idea of using them as planters.

So I'll drill some drainage holes and seal up the inside with the automotive stuff. Obviously I won't use these planters for food crops, just ornamental plants.

Thanks so much. :)

Bookmark   July 4, 2006 at 2:12PM
tamelyn_live_co_uk

I have used copper pots but have lined them (just a black bin liner) and they look great, I like the look as it discolors, don't forget copper repels slugs and snails so great for Hostas etc that attract these pests ;-)

Bookmark   August 11, 2011 at 11:25AM
Katherine Lamoreaux

I put a handful of pennies of the surface of my potted peppermint, because I was told that it would keep away slugs. I don't know for sure, but I suspect that the copper leaked into the soil and killed my plant. It was thriving and made a steady decline. I thought for awhile that it was because it was getting colder outside, so I brought it inside. It's leaves continued to turned yellow and then brown, but not all at once, it happened one stem at a time.

Bookmark   last Friday at 12:14PM
tapla (mid-MI z5b-6a)

Copper is an element essential to normal growth and good health, but like all of the micro nutrients, it becomes toxic VERY quickly. Post 1982 pennies are 97.5% zinc and 2.5% copper plating. Both copper and zinc would very quickly reach toxic levels if allowed to oxidize in the soil.

If you want to keep slugs away, use a copper wire around the rim of the pot or a length of copper foil used for stained glass projects. It does work.

Al

Bookmark   last Saturday at 10:06AM
More Discussions
CONTAINER SOILS - WATER MOVEMENT and RETENTION XXII
Hello! Houzz's new format has presented some challenges,...
tapla (mid-MI z5b-6a)
Buckeye re-potting - Trees in Containers (pics)
Hello and good afternoon, container gardeners! California...
greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a
Question about too much dryness in my container garden
I have several Behlen food-grade stocktanks (1x2x6)...
catherinet
Long Term Potting Mix Recipe - Alternative to Gritty Mix
Hi everyone, I'm a new gardener from Perth, Western...
arcan
Al and others..Foliage Pro fertilizer?
I just wanted to get an update on what you think of...
meyermike_1micha
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™