Not removing grass before landscaping?

NotSoGreenThumbWIMay 11, 2014

As some background, I had grass planted at my new construction home in WI about a year ago. I believe it is mostly Kentucky Bluegrass. This Spring I planned to landscape around my house, but I have grass going all the way up to the house. A friend told me that since the grass is still only a year old, I wouldn't have to remove or kill it before landscaping and that the mulch would just smother it.

So, I went ahead and planted a bunch of shrubs, put down some weed barrier fabric (which only went out 4 feet from the house), and put down a couple inches of cedar mulch about 5 feet from the house. All of this was done on top of the grass. It felt great to be done!

Then, I started having second thoughts about whether the grass is really going to die or if it's going to poke right up again. I'm hoping the grass that has weed barrier fabric and mulch over it will die, but am especially skeptical about the grass that just has mulch over it. If it does pop up through the mulch, what should I do to control it now that the area is covered with shrubs and mulch?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
yardvaark

If grass comes up close to shrubs, you will probably need to hand dig it out. If farther away, you could carefully spray it with Round-up, while protecting the shrub foliage, of course. Where it is covered with mulch only, it's likely that the grass will break through. Where there is fabric, it's likely that it will die if the fabric and mulch remain intact.

Bookmark   May 12, 2014 at 12:55AM
NotSoGreenThumbWI

Do you think it would be worthwhile to put some cardboard under the mulch where there is no landscape fabric at this point?

Bookmark   May 12, 2014 at 12:41PM
yardvaark

Sure. If not too difficult to do. The alternative is to kill what comes up with Round-up.

Bookmark   May 12, 2014 at 2:31PM
More Discussions
Plantings for Driveway/Walkway Design
We would like to pave the driveway. (I hope I am in...
doggonedeb
Issue with Retainer Wall, fixable or redo?
Hi, first time posting here. I'm looking for advice...
John Turner
Raised Garden Bed Construction Help
Hello Everyone! What wonderful help! I've built about...
Garden Chickee
Help! My new front yard is UGLY! Any ideas appreciated!
Do I keep the stone flower bed edge? I was told it...
amynatashahowell
Help for shade
I need some advice . I have recently moved into a house...
Chris Cousineau
Sponsored Products
Freeman Game Chair
$499.00 | FRONTGATE
Sterling Industries 6042694 Tamara Tower - White
Beyond Stores
Missoni Home | Mebera Rug
YLiving.com
Remix Down Pillow - Yellow - Ferm Living
$100.00 | HORNE
Allegra Outdoor Patio Pillow in Orange
$19.99 | LexMod