Is a Landscape Architect the appropriate professional for this?

socalgal_gw Zone USDA 10b Sunset 24May 7, 2014

I need to have the foundation of my house replaced and thus have the opportunity to redo the front entrance. The current entrance hardscape includes a walkway from the driveway, six steps, and a concrete porch with iron railing. Is a Landscape Architect the appropriate professional to help with a new design? Or a regular Architect? I assume I need someone who knows the appropriate height/depth for steps, and local code requirements for railings.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
yardvaark

A landscape architect for all those outdoor things. A building architect for the house foundation.

Bookmark   May 7, 2014 at 10:16PM
ConnieinMaryland(z7a Md.)

Yes, a Landscape Architect is who you want. LAs are trained in all the outdoor construction codes and techniques and plants. Most wonderfully though, they are specifically trained to carve out Space and to scale and design it to evoke the emotions you want it to.

I am just finishing my first year of work on the Masters of Landscape Architecture, and am loving it! One of the new things my professors all included this semester was artful stormwater management. Traditional, Modern or Fantastic, an LA can really see. I am not advertising, because I will graduate and then sit for my licensing exams after working 2 or 3 years in the profession.

Bookmark   May 7, 2014 at 10:30PM
marcinde(7)

Landscape architect, or landscape designer. Either is appropriate for the project described.

Bookmark   May 8, 2014 at 11:36PM
More Discussions
Need help with plant selection....
Any ideas of what plants I can plant between the dark...
Roy_R
Ditched my landscaper - yellow pine choice
Going to my local Camellia expert's nursery and just...
Bama_Joe
seeking creative solution to pine root damage in driveway
Hello, My neighbor has some large pines which are on...
gardnergal
need help regrading
hi, currently the mulch surrounding my home foundation...
mishyq
Brick Patio from Salvaged bricks
I came by about 600 nice clean used bricks for free...
oldgardenguy_zone6
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™