Fertilizing

nico_girl3(9a)April 19, 2012

I'm putting my plants in the ground this weekend. I have a fish emulsion and a seaweed fertilizer I was planning to mix and spray on them, is this enough? Do I spray just their leaves or the ground also? I have some aged manure I am thinking of adding to their beds, is this good/bad, or should I use something else? Can anyone recommend a good fertilizer? I do plan on setting up a worm bin soon, I know worm poo is a really good fertilizer. But in the mean time what is recommended? Sorry for all the questions.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
digdirt2(6b-7a No.Cent. AR HZ8 Sun-35)

Have you read through all the other fertilizer discussions here? There is a FAQ too. I think you'll find all your questions answered in many of them and there are hundreds to choose from but no 1 perfect one. Same goes for the use of manures in food gardens - lots of discussions.

So rather than rehash all that I'll focus on the point that you never want to spray anything on a freshly transplanted plant. Transplants need several days to recuperate from transplant shock before you hit them with anything else. Transplant time is hole prep time, not spray time.

Also note that there are very specific guidelines for spraying anything on even established plants - foliar feeding is for established plants only, it must be well diluted to 1/2 strength or less, only apply early in the morning, never in the heat of the day or the direct sun, and you lightly mist the leaves you don't drench them.

So once your plants recover from being transplanted (a cool shady day is best) then use your fish and seaweed stuff per the label directions around the base of the plant.

Dave

Here is a link that might be useful: fertilizer FAQ and discussions

Bookmark   April 19, 2012 at 3:12PM
nico_girl3(9a)

Thanks Dave. I'll have to scour the fertilizing posts. I didn't know about not spraying new transplants. Thankfully this weekend is supposed to be warm but overcast, so hopefully I will be lucky there. Thanks for the link I'll check it out.

Bookmark   April 19, 2012 at 5:05PM
stuffradio

If you have bonemeal, depending on the vegetable, you can put some bonemeal in the hole and put the plant on top of it.

Bookmark   April 27, 2012 at 12:33AM
planatus(6)

Why make something hard that's easy? Buy a bag of organic fertilizer and follow the instructions on the label. You do need it, it's not just an option. With experience, you will learn how various crops grow in your soil, which need more fertilizer and which need less. Organic fertilizers work differently than synthetics, but they give a nice even feed as they break down. I actually enjoy using them.

Bookmark   April 27, 2012 at 7:12AM
More Discussions
Greenland Gardener Raised Garden Kit
Picked up 2 of these from Walmart yesterday to grow...
onkloudnyne
I really messed up, who can help? Tomato expert needed...
I planted beefsteak and July 4th tomatoes and didn't...
dwyerkg
Experiment Results: Growing vegetables in different soil-less mixes
If someone are interested to follow an experiment to...
Jacques (MP, South Africa) S
Will I be too late to start a vegetable garden for the summer?
Hello! My husband and I will be moving from Florida...
merritt623
Planting where dog used to poop
We haven't had a god in two years. Is it okay to plant...
Theresa24
Sponsored Products
Metallic Glass Primrose Garden Light
$399.00 | FRONTGATE
Memories of Blue I Canvas Print
Grandin Road
Artificial Grass: StarPro Greens Tarps & Covers Centipede Ultra Synthetic Lawn
$57.97 | Home Depot
Memories of Blue II Canvas Print
Grandin Road
Premium Shag Coffee Bean Rectangular: 5 Ft. x 8 Ft. Rug
$299.99 | Bellacor