Plan for large yard

rookie24May 31, 2012

I have a very large yard (5 acres) with very little landscaping or trees. I am at a loss of how to plan this area and what I should do. Does anyone have any experience with large areas like this? I am looking for some ideas to get started. The only landscaping I have is literally around the house. I have a windbreak planted on one side of the property line but the trees are still really small (3' tall). Can anyone give me advice or direct me to some articles or something?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
designoline6(Z6)

A very large yard landscape might have a patio,a fire pit,a pool match waterfall,a pergola,some fluid curve step sidewalk,different color shrubs combination.different high trees... you select.

Bookmark   May 31, 2012 at 11:30PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
aloha2009

Unless you have nothing else to do in your life but garden or have enough money to hire your own gardener I'd suggest "carving" out what would typically be a medium to large city lot and let the remaining area serve as naturescape. Since you're lucky to have all that land, the area that you actually landscape IMO shouldn't cut off visually the remaining acreage.

You didn't mention having horses so I assume you don't. Do you have any criteria that might need area allotted for?

Bookmark   June 2, 2012 at 9:20AM
More Discussions
Show Me Your Small Private Backyard Landscaping
Looking for picture-based examples of up to a 1/4 acre...
Bob Sislow
Wind, sun and what best fits my backyard
Hi everyone! Please ignore the grass situation, will...
Bama_Joe
Need help building a retaining wall
Hi all this is my first post so I hope I can get some...
jeffboyardeee
Can a new wood fence be moved?
I recently purchased a house with a newly installed...
dyhgarden
Where to find 3/8" minus gravel in NY/NJ??
Our community garden is planning to rehabilitate our...
heavens123
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™