Homemade Potting Mixes for tomatoes?

ejh805(8b)July 6, 2012

Hi all!

I'm trying to prepare for next year, have already got 5 20 gallon nursery containers and a 20 gallon smart pot (one of those aerated things).

Because pre-mixed potting mix/soil can be so darn expensive, I was hoping that some of yall could point me in th direction of how to mix my own. I can't make my own compost or anything like that because I live in an apartment.

The ferts I've got on hand are osmocote, fish emulsion, nitrogen sticks, bone meal, and some kind of tomato fertilizer that looks like colored salts. I dont know what it's called but it comes in a bright orange box.

So far this year, I'm growing husky cherry red tomatoes in a 9 gallon pot, hungarian hot yellow wax peppers in the same size, thai hot peppers in a 5 gallon, and a bunch of different herbs. The herbs I all used a gritty mix, and for the toms/peppers I just used miracle gro mixed with perlite. But with the volume of medium I'm going to need next year, I doubt I can throw down enough to fill my pots with just miracle gro and perlite, seeing as the cost stacks up really quickly.

And with the heat down here, I know the gritty mix would start rejecting water very fast.

Thanks in advance,

Emily

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
ejh805(8b)

Also, I'll be using one of the pots for banana peppers and thai hot peppers. I want to transplant my current peppers plants to a larger container so they will be bigger and healthier.

How many do you think I could fit into a 20 gallon nursery pot without causing problems?

Bookmark   July 6, 2012 at 5:16PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
tapla (mid-MI z5b-6a)

The 5:1:1 mix is usually costs less than half what commercially prepared mixes costs and works very well. Start investigating at the link below.

Al

Here is a link that might be useful: More here

Bookmark   July 7, 2012 at 8:28PM
More Discussions
Making my garden easy care
I need an easy are garden. Because of ill health ,...
Carry2
Help! My slash pine seedlings in containers are turning yellowish
I have several hundred slash pine seedlings I put in...
George Spector
RE: Introductory post-C.S-W.M&RXXI 1-27-15
Hi everyone, In my very 1st post, I described how by...
halocline
To find popular threads try this...
When you are looking for popular threads from the GW...
Loveplants2 8b Virginia Beach, Virginia
My New Raised Container Garden - Thanks for all the Help
This is really more of a conversational post. No real...
Cliff Pruitt
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™