Rootbound mint

ejh805(8b)July 20, 2012

Hey everyone,

I've got some apple mint in a rectangular window planter. It measures about 24"x8", and about 10" deep.

The mint started getting really leggy and scraggly looking recently, and since it gets plenty of sun I'm thinking it may be rootbound. If it is, what can I do instead of putting it in a bigger pot? Which is not an option at this point.

Can I take something small, sharp, and saw-like and cut away the outer rootball by about 1/2 inch, in the shape of the planter, and just fill in the new space between the rootball and side with fresh potting mix?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
tapla (mid-MI z5b-6a)

I'd chop the whole thing up and make a few plugs, making sure to free the roots of the plugs of their congestion, and start afresh, putting the container in the shade until the new plants establish. Your plan doesn't ease the root congestion that is limiting the plant, so it will only PARTIALLY reinvigorate the planting. Giving the roots to run will ensure full growth potential, within the limitations of other factors with the ability to limit growth, while potting up ensures limitations, the severity of which increases with increasing root congestion in the center of the soil mass. What you'll end up with is a perimeter of partially reinvigorated plants and a core of plants that exhibit little improvement from what you have now.

4 varieties of mint kept neat and under control by pruning:

Al

Bookmark   July 20, 2012 at 5:08PM
More Discussions
Potting into Air Pots, root length question
Hello all, My question is, air pots are supposed to...
stickstring (Northern California 8b)
Type of kale... Also, shiny metallic flakes?
Hey, my friend gave me some kale seeds from her plants...
Josie Murray
Trying Petunias indoors
I thought that I would try to grow some Petunias indoors,...
nopets
Help! My kumqat is dying
Hello everyone, I am hoping to get some help related...
bashchelik
Any issues planting in copper pots?
I have some old copper containers I want to use for...
garden_dogs
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™